Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 2 months ago

Are these medications for the Corona Virus (plaquenil or hydroxychloroquine) available in the pharmacies for the people in Israel?

I have a cousin in Israel & she told me that these medicines are only available in the hospitals in Israel

Right only in hospitals now, 

the ministry of health withdrew all  antimalarial drugs from pharmacies temporarily for a couple of reasons, first to help hospitals use it directly for the COVID-19 affected people and second to prevent people of stocking it without having a real usage for it. 

Answering you in a political way like the people in this forum is a little silly, Israel is not a first world country as long as they are segregating between Hebrews and Arabs, an Apartheid country can't be first world.

Teva is a small company in Israel but pretty big abroad, they bought out Plantex, Biogal, Novopharm, Max Corp,  Ratiopharm(now HALO), Taiyo  ... so they don't have the capacity for medical research but they are using the money stolen in 2008 from the US banks where America kind of bankrupt because of the Zionist plan to rule the world; I was not willing to sell this idea while the world is struggling with COVID-19-20-21-22... but when I read silly lies and posts, it bugs me.

• TNO

As far as I know, they're not over-the-counter medicines. You usually need a prescription, at least with my familiarity with these drugs. 

As far as its availability goes: It should be available in pharmacies. I'm not Israeli so I can't confirm this; however, I can't imagine that Israel would limit its use to hospital settings. Perhaps your cousin misunderstood or there was miscommunication between you two. As you probably need a prescription (especially now, with its off-label use against COVID-19 being in the news) you'll need to see a doctor. That'll involve going to a hospital for many, which is what she might be talking about. After seeing that doctor, he or she will give you the Rx to take to the pharmacy (or electronically deliver it) for pick-up. And, of course, there usually are pharmacies in hospitals as well, which can dispense hydroxychloroquine.

I don't think Israel will have a shortage of the drug, at least compared to most other nations. Teva, an Israeli company, actually is producing and donating a whole bunch of it worldwide. Teva is a HUGE name in the pharmaceutical business, so they're capable of producing a lot and will naturally make sure their countrymen are well stocked.

Furthermore, I think Israelis are much more likely to visit the more malarial parts of the world compared to citizens of other nations. As a first world nation, anti-malarial drugs like plaquenil are a must and I can't imagine that their access would be too heavily limited, so local pharmacies will likely have them albeit with a prescription.

• BMCR

They are not medications for the coronavirus (they are antimalarial) and they are medicine that is available in any first world country.

See https://www.medicinenet.com/hydroxychloroquine/art...

"Hydroxychloroquine is classified as an anti-malarial drug. It is similar to chloroquine (Aralen) and is useful in treating several forms of malaria as well as lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis. "

As for what they have to do with coronavirus:

"Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) and its sister drug chloroquine (Aralen) are under investigation for treatment of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease

Korean doctors used these anti-malaria drugs to treat COVID-19 with some success, according to a paper filed with Elsevier in March 2020, but effectiveness is unproven."

Note the words "treatment" (i.e. not a vaccine) and "under investigation" and "effectiveness is unproven".

• Yoel Cohen2 months agoReport

Thank you, BMCR for existing.

Can they be bought YES.

Will I tell you how NO.

She can get it from her DOCTOR. It is not much for the virus at this time still being tested.

If you have the smarts on how to administer it then you have the smarts on how you get it.

If you do not know how to use then you do not need to know how to get some.

More than enough hording going on around the planet.