Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Is it normal to get depressed and have suicidal thoughts? ?

Not all people have this tendency. It is pretty normal for a person to be depressed but not suicidal. I would say they are almost mutually exclusive. Example, say a passing of a immediate family member, a pet, loss of a relationship like Divorce.

Though I do not have official figures. But, some individuals are prone to having suicidal thoughts. This could be genetic factors such as having least 1 parent having life long history of psychiatric conditions, immediate or extended family members having history of attempted or succeeded in attempting suicide, working in a high pressure environment, problematic interpersonal family life, the list goes on. All these factors contribute alot to suicidal thoughts.

The chief reason why people act on their suicidal thoughts, varies on sex and the ongoing contributing circumstances.

1) Sex

Men are twice as likely to succeed on their suicide attempts, largely due to their

methods. The methods are death by firearms, jumping onto the path of an incoming train, off a building, a bridge. Before they attempt suicide, they often become reclusive. The chief reason why they do this as they lost hope and the will to live.Women tend to choose "softer" methods, such as overdosing of medication, slashing of wrist (From my observation, they often missed the radial pulse). Women also tend to talk about their problems or even their suicidal thoughts before attempting suicide. Their efforts often is an outcry for attention for help. Henceforth, once the episode is over (they survived) and with enough social support. They often recover and move on better than men.

2)Depressive symptoms between sexes. Depression often manifest itself differently in men, ,they are but not limited to:Anger issues, persistent episodes of sudden anger outbursts, esp if the man is not known to be temperamental.Drinking alcohol at inappropriate hoursListless, loss of interest in sex or hobbies.Women often are often associated to crying spells and daydreaming.However, both sexes often share some of the symptoms as well.

Lastly, if you have persistent suicidal thoughts, please consult your nearest professional mental health personnel. Take up some hobbies and exercise, they do help. Remember, when it comes to one's mental health well being, only oneself mental fortitude is able to help themselves out of the pickle. Always practice baby steps. Changing one's lifestyle is often difficult and please be patient. Everything else are just tools to make the recovery easier.  

I often thought so, but I now strongly disagree. 'Escapist' would be a better word to use instead of normal. I've seen big name sports 'stars' who were caught out doing something wrong and were humiliated/chastised world wide. They cried while they apologised publicly - but there was no hint of suicidal thoughts. I've read other stories in the media about people in other fields who were publicly ousted/humiliated and yet they never thought about suicide. With some people, no matter how bad their situation, they never consider suicide. And I admire them for that. FACING the problem, rather than running away from it. Noting this - I have to say they gave me reason to think about suicide. I can't think of anything worse, more depressing than having your name dragged in the mud so publicly - and yet these people still walked with their heads held high. Something else I've noticed, is the SAME PEOPLE have ALWAYS had a change of 'fortune' (months/years/decades) later. Where the same people who criticised them, were now defending them and calling their name in praise. I've often thought how great they must feel after being so low earlier . . .  And I think that good feeling then would be absolutely euphoric!!  You bite the bullet and go on, remembering life goes on and is changing all the time.

its written in the DNA code to die anyway, so yes.

It's normal enough for me. 

• Alfred

no, I don't think it's normal.

it might stem from a chemical imbalance  within one's brain... with  or apparently with no '' trigger'' event/ trauma.

it's common... it's beyond one's good or ill  will... and it's treatable....yes

Pretty ambiguous what you're saying. I think that people are like plants, and so if the plant turns out looking normal like other plants it's in a good environment, but if it turns out wrong, then something went wrong. It's only "normal" for people in bad situations to be suicidal. I mean, would the happiest man alive have suicidal thoughts? By default, no. I'd like to know your situation, if you grew up in abuse, if you have emotional support, friends, family, etc. or if you're own your own, in a dead end job, with no social skills, no future prospects, and no direction.

I wouldn't say it's "normal", but it's common enough at some point(s) in our lives. I'd guess way more than half of us have wrestled with those feelings.

I mean.. yes, normal as in it can happen (and is somewhat common, actually). But not "normal" as in it's apart of everyday life and you should just ignore it. Are you a minor? Are your parents open to mental illness? you might want to talk about it to them so that you can get the help you need.

• OTTO

Depression creates feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness. The resulting beliefs could view suicide as a solution. Remember that thoughts and feelings are not reality.

• angie

I think so, especially in teen years. It's important to have support, someone you can talk to. Parents, friends, a hotline...to help you get through because it does eventually pass. You won't always feel this way. It is one thing to think about these things, it is another to act on them. Sometimes, through no fault  of our own, our bodies can have a chemical imbalance, a reaction to new medication, a hormone change, etc that can cause this. If you seriously are concerned you will act on this then do not be afraid to get help. You are not the only person who feels this way or to go through this. Best of luck to you