Would it offend a woman of color if a White good friend of hers ask her to work as her maid without saying the word maid!?

As a woman of color, I think if you are friends stay friendly.  Don't ask her to be your maid because she will be offended and probably end the relationship.  If I were her I personally would want to know what you have on your mind as a 'friend'.

Is she a good housekeeper? (Not just cleaning but actually keeping up with the home, such as cleaning, groceries etc) Does she already do this type of a thing or a living or currently looking for work? Do you plan to pay her a decent wage?

If you say yes to ALL those questions then no it is not wrong.

Is she looking for work as a housekeeper / cleaner / cook / etc? Because if she has a degree in nuclear physics, yes, it's an insult.

Your mistakes are 1) doing business with a friend and 2) offering work to someone who isn't seeking that sort of work.  

The first is dicey, because it can be hard to set appropriate boundaries. The second is difficult because if she's not looking for that work, she may feel like you're really stuck.  If you think you're doing her a favor by offering her a job, and she's thinking she's doing YOU a favor because you're so stressed about these tasks you need done, it just isn't going to work. You'll both feel like you're going the extra mile, and this really, *really* should be a straightforward business transaction.

My wife and I are white, and we have a couple who are facebook grade friends. My wife asked the female of the other couple if she would consider helping out with the housecleaning. The lady accepted and has been a blessing to both of us. In short, dont' make it a race thing, make it a needing help thing.