Is it safe to work in a skilled nursing facility with covid-19 patients?

So my job has just said that starting in a week, we'll have recovering Covid-19 patients there to finish recovering before going back home. They will be on a separate section of the nursing facility while nurses take care of them but I happen to work in the kitchen and wash a lot of dishes. I'm a bit nervous that if I wash those dishes and maybe the drippings that are in the water, happen to splash on me, then what? I asked if they'll use disposable products but they said no but I feel I should push the issue to use disposables. If not, should i be working?

What would be your concerns or opinions?

• :)

Although we are in the midst of a pandemic, we have to remember that disposables are

1) Going to end up being expensive and

2) not good for the environment

In the kitchen, if you’re wearing gloves, washing your hands, wearing a mask, and not touching your face, you should be fine. Change out of your clothes/shoes before stepping into your car if you can, and keep them in a bag so that you don’t possibly contaminate your car/your home. Wash your hands and shower as soon as you get home, and don’t let anyone hug you. These precautions are over the top for a kitchen worker; these are actually what doctors and nurses do. But if you do these things, it’ll provide you with extra reassurance.

I’d encourage your job to take each employee’s temperature at the beginning of the work day if they aren’t doing this already. And masks should ALWAYS be available for everyone.

Soap kills the virus. Haven't you been paying attention?

It's not safe to be near the patients.

It's probably safe to wash the dishes. If the drippings splash on your skin, nothing happens to you. The virus doesn't infect skin. To be safe from splashes, you just have to (1) wear a mask and eyeglasses, so that it can't splash in your mouth, nose, or eyes and (2) if it splashes on your hands, wash them before you touch your mouth, nose or eyes.

You should also be washing them in water that is hot enough to kill the virus. Not just because of the virus, but also to kill bacteria that could infect someone eating from the dishes.

thats up to you but maybe you can wear gloves

• SallyS2 months agoReport

I feel it's more then just gloves I'm worried about. I feel I need better protection for the skin or face areas to. Also, this virus is new so I feel we need to take the safest precautions. I at least need too

I wouldn't have concerns.

Covid-19 is contagious at the beginning of the illness. 

If they are released from the hospital, they are no longer contagious and likely (hopefully) immune to covid-19 at least for a period of time.

Those patients are much safer than your other patients.

• CiCi

I work with food in a hospital so I understand. You will be fine. Wear gloves and a mask for extra protection, if you aren’t already. Remember to pray

Being the dishwasher is the safest place you can be! The soap will kill the virus. I have friends who worked as dishwashers in restaurants when they were in school. They've recently been remarking on FB that that was when they had no colds, no flu- they were the healthiest they have ever been. 

• SallyS2 months agoReport

I'm still doing my research and learning but I hope this is true. I have kids and seniors at home so I want to be safe for them also. thanks