Can tracing help me develop a "muscle memory" to draw better portraits?

I'm trying to improve my drawing skills. I have taken to tracing to help me learn the landscape of the face and to develop a sort of muscle memory. Eventually I want to be able to recreate the curves of the face from memory. It seems like in theory this "method" should work. But what do you think? Does it seem legit? Is this method used by any actual artists?

• Tim D

No, you will learn to trace better (hopefully). If you are drawing a portrait you need to work from life or, at worst, from a photograph. Artists might use a tracing of a photograph to give them some essential dimensions – total head and shoulders, bottom of the nose, centres of the eyes, and centre of the mouth. They might even grid up a photograph and work from that (drawing a grid and concentrating on a square at a time). It appears you might want to draw people generically rather than actual specific people, and there are various methods to understand the construction of a head (google Reilly Method, for example).

i would just try it and see and then you'll know

In order to get good at something you have to practice.  People who are great usually spend about 10,000 hours working on their craft.  So practice and learn techniques via classes.  Most great artists had mentors or people who trained them to execute the craft.  If you visit some good musumes, there are usually people practicing the techniques of the masters.  You could do that as well.  Study a painting, the try to create it.

just try it and see and then you'll know