Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

Question about hardwood flooring?

I have saved enough money to remodel my home, and once coronavirus winds down I'll be having some contractors over to do it.

In the meantime I've been looking at materials online such as paint colors, flooring types etc to decide what I want to use.

For the flooring, I'm leaning towards hickory in parts of the house and bamboo in the others.

I've noticed that both hickory and bamboo flooring has two categories:

Solid, and engineered.

I wonder about the difference as I do want genuine wood flooring.

Does engineered mean the flooring is artificial hickory and artificial bamboo?

Is it genuine, but manufactured differently or altered?

What's the difference, and are there pros and cons?

• F
    Favorite Answer

Three types of wood flooring.

Solid - 100% wood

Laminate - chip board / MDF with a picture of wood just below clear plastic top layer

Engineered - 50 -70 % chip board with the top layer 100% wood of whatever type you choose. Should be cheaper than solid wood. Claimed to be more stable and less likely to bow and twist. Solid wood top layer is thick enough to refinish a couple of times.

It all depends where you reside and the type of dwelling. I live in an apartment and chose solid teak wood flooring, I'm so glad.  If you live near water, beach or lake, you could opt for vinyl that looks like wood. I heard it's super durable.  If you have kids engineered is durable for heavy traffic and young kids with toys.

Pro.. it's cheaper.

Con... Engineered is genuine artificial bamboo or hickory and was never alive. Yes genuine artificial. Oxymoron? you bet, yet it makes more sense than a boneless rib. Squido

You COULD TYPE IT IN TO GOOGLE AND READ THE ANSWER there is that which is the best.  OR you can get an Opinion.

Your choice as to which is best.

.Your chances of getting genuine wood flooring is like (History) .  That hasn't happened for YEARS.  Unless it is the commonly found FIR or PINE or OAK or MAPLE.  Exotic woods (Bamboo is a Grass) so to get it as a real wood flooring is Lumpy.  Better Melamine which is a photograph of the wood type and that is layered ontop of newsprint to make a very hard flooring "picture".  It is really hard.   Bowling alley floor hard...it can handle the bounce of a bowling ball without showing any damage.  It can't be wet mopped, just dry mopped...to pick up the dust.

. If you are a wet mopper then a concrete floor is best for you.(or Linoleum sheets)

If you can afford hard wood, go for it.

I hate the sound and feel underfoot of engineered floors. These are the floors people will be pulling out in the future, just like the wall paneling from the 1970''s people have been pulling out for decades now!

Wood floors are easy to maintain if you sweep them regularly. It is the dirt on the wood floors that act like sandpaper under foot, which wear the finish off. Wood,  solid, real wood floors will always have more value than engineered wood. 

Actual hardwood is boards, cut from logs. It is long-wearing, but it isn't as durable and water-resistant as engineered hardwood. Engineered means it's made from cut or chopped wood and bonded together. It's extremely durable, looks just like the actual hardwood (though it has just slightly less graining) and it's cheaper than hardwood. Overall, you'd be pleased with the look of it. 

I would go with engineered hardwood if you're worried about wear and tear and expense. When you damage actual hardwood it needs professional repair, and may or may not be repairable. 

However, I have oak hardwood--the original floor--in my home from the 1920's I had it refinished and coated with polyurethane last fall--and I have had NO trouble with any of it. The coating is not "shiny" but matte--and it's cleanable with a damp mop, and has shown absolutely NO problems, after cleaning it several times, and wiping up any damp places--it does not water-spot.  I'm more than satisfied with the results. 

Either real, or engineered, hardwood is the best flooring if you want beauty, and long-lasting durability. Bamboo is not the best option. 

There are a lot of other options, as well. Waterproof, and extremely durable vinyl floor tiles are one--they can look exactly like hardwood planks--and they're very easy. They may also be much cheaper than wood of any kind, whether real or engineered. You should definitely look into them. 

I absolutely LOVE my hardwood floors. But if expense is an issue, consider other options. 

There is a significant difference in cost between solid wood flooring and engineering wood flooring. Solid wood flooring can be refinished several times while some engineered wood flooring can be refinished only once. Other engineered wood flooring can't be refinished. 

.

It should be noted that there are two other options now available. One is luxury vinyl plank flooring and the other is ceramic tile that looks exactly like wood flooring. You should look into these two options before you make a final choice. 

The engineered floor is a thin veneer of the real wood bonded to plywood. It'll look good for a time, but it cannot be sanded or otherwise refinished--and in a high traffic area that will absolutely be necessary.

I have a friend who got bamboo and is very pleased five years later. She says she had oak before and liked it, but the bamboo doesn't scrape and ding anywhere near as much.

All you had to do was put 'engineered hardwood' in your search bar to find out what it is and the differences between that and solid hardwood, and the pros and cons of both........it's basically plywood or MDF with a thin layer of real wood as the top layer.

'Engineered' hardwood flooring is made of layers, like plywood.  The top layer is the kind of wood you want.  It's all real wood but only the top layer is the bamboo or hickory.

This is better than 'laminate' flooring, which is also made of layers, but the top layer is actually a 'photo' of the wood.

'Solid' flooring is all one piece of wood, all the kind you ordered.  It tends to be a lot more expensive, but it can be re-sanded and re-finished multiple times.  Which you can't do with engineered or laminate.