Pedro
Pedro asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

is it true that to like is a static verb and we can't use it in the continuous form?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it’s true.  The continuous form has been making its way into informal conversations for the last few years, but if you are an English learner, stick with the simple present for the static verbs.

• Speed

Hm... good question.

Ordinarily, we either like or don't like something in a static sense rather than a continuous judgment of it. I like shrimp. I don't like parties. No matter how many times I'm presented with shrimp or parties, in their many variations, my like or dislike remains static.

But IMO it's possible for like to be used in a continuous form in situations which are themselves continuous and evolving.

I'm liking this whole self-isolating business--I don't have to see anybody! Even though I was afraid to leave home, I find myself liking college. I like how this romance is going. I dreaded meeting her parents, but the better I got to know them the more I liked them.