Old PC low on memory?

I have an old HP computer and I upgraded it to Windows Vista. It originally had Windows XP, but it said it was compatible with Vista. So, I upgraded it but it got laggier. And I put it back to XP, and some things weren't working. So I changed it back to Vista and I had lower RAM. How did the memory change I bet it had 4 GB before now it has 512 MB. I don't get it

32-bit

• keerok
    Favorite Answer

Vista? Why? XP was so much better. I still use it!

Go back to XP. It's old, you need drivers. You might still catch them in the internet. Try the HP website first.

As for the RAM, turn off the PC and open the CPU. Take out all the RAM sticks and wipe the gold contacts with a clean pencil eraser. Make sure you don't touch any other parts. When done, put back one RAM stick at a time. Make sure it is seated properly in place. Turn on the CPU, go to BIOS and check the amount of memory. Add another RAM stick. go again to BIOS to see if memory went up. Do this until all RAM sticks are in. If an error comes up, that last RAM stick you place is damaged. Replace with a same spec'd RAM stick.

When you receive the low memory error, it means that your computer is running out of RAM and becomes low on virtual memory. Why is the computer low on memory? That's because some programs on your computer take too much allocation of memory. Tip: The items of RAM and virtual memory are totally different from disk space

You have to delete some stuff that you don’t need on there.

First off look in BIOS and see if it's a 64-bit processor next if you find that it's a 64-bit processor download a copy of Linux mint a good version would be Rebecca. And install Linux mint using either a USB stick. Or dvd. You're describing the symptoms of going from 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system a 64-bit operating system will recognize all of your RAM sticks and 32-bit operating system will not! and on an older computer you'll do far better to run a copy of Linux instead of copy of windows. There's not much that Linux won't do you're already used to Linux that's what your cell phone is Android is Linux!

It is the difference between 32bit and 64bit OS. 32 can only use 4 gb , 64 much more.

• StupidGamer2 months agoReport

I'm using 32-bit, I could of wrote this down before I posted something

• John

That is why I buy a new HP laptop every 3 years. Then I know I will be much more compatible with the world.