promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

is my popped blister normal? (warning: gross pics)?

so i got a big blister on my hands a few days ago and accidentally popped it trying to change the bandaid on it, and it left a big hole in my hand that’s still red like 2 days later... it’s gross and i hate looking at it. i was just wondering if that’s normal and how long it should take to heal? 

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, it's an open wound.  That's not "normal".

But don't panic.  There's mild inflammation, which is to be expected, but no sign of infection.

Wash it with soap and water, and pat dry with a clean towel.  Apply an antibiotic ointment and a band-aid.  New skin is already growing from the inner layers.  You should not need a doctor, based on what this looks like today.

Figure on a week or two before the damaged skin is level with the rest of your hand.  It's going to be pink for much longer, though: it takes a while for pigment cells to regenerate in from the surrounding tissue.

• Madeline2 months agoReport

i’ll do that, thank you! 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You need to keep this wound moist and covered, if you keep it dry you will be left with a gnarly indented scar

This is going to take several weeks to heal because you burnt a significant amount of skin off

okay, thank you!

• 2 months ago

Keep it clean and dry and it will heal over the next few weeks. 

There will be a scar at first, but most blister scars do not penetrate into deeper skin layers so the scars usually vanish eventually.

A loose plaster with open sides just to protect it from knocks and dirt will help keep it clean, but will do more harm if you leave the plaster on whenever it gets wet.

okay, thank you!

• 2 months ago

If you hate looking at it why do you think we would want to look at it.

that’s why i put a warning in the question... i’m just making sure my hand isn’t infected or anything...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It'll heal a lot faster if you don't keep it covered all the time.  

• Eva
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

But it will scar more

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.