Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Should I feel bad for unfriending my aunt on Facebook?

She'd clog my news feed with religious preaching umpteen times a day. Every single day she's spamming my feed to the point where I can't see my friends' and gf's posts. She'd also add her 2 cents to every comment thread between my friends and/or my gf on my posts. She'll just pop up in the comments and run rampant.  

So today I just decided that I'd had it with her and unfriended her. It did not take her long to notice. She then had the gall to try adding me back 15 minutes later, which I obviously rejected. She then WhatsApps my mum telling me how hurt and rejected she felt and now my mum's getting all whiny and demanding I add her back because "family is family" and that I "should be more tolerant". I flat out refuse to take her back. It's not like I see her every day anyway. She (and all the rest of my extended family) live overseas and I see them once a year at Christmas/New Year's. Was I being mean by cutting her out of my FB? Or should I do what I feel is best for me? Thanks in advance!

• Helen

No I don't think you were being mean. Since she is close family, it was always going to have repercussions though. 

Perhaps you could have unfollowed her and edited the privacy of your posts so she couldn't see them before you caused a major family fallout..?

Ultimately though, it's your social media and you can choose who you have on there.

No you weren't being mean. I hate when people say "family is family" because that's NOT an excuse to be preaching at your family, to be adding your two cents that no one asked for, and for overall being a crazy control freak. The older generation is something i will never completely understand because toxic is toxic. You don't need to deal with that. You're not obligated to do that just because you're related to her. I don't talk to most of my family except my dad and that's every once in a blue moon. 

My cousins are idiots biased idiots at that, my sister isn't who she used to be, my mom's a raging alcoholic who thinks she can say whatever she wants when she gets her liquid courage, and the rest of them there's just this distance. My family is toxic im used to being with my fiance of 8 years and our little girl and i have my close friends i keep my circle small. I'm the black sheep of my family and im WAY happier not speaking to them and not having them in my life. You don't have to be as extreme as i am. But if you don't want her on your fb and you feel that's best for you then your mom is gonna have to get over that. She can't force you to add her back. Hope this helps and good luck.

Source(s): Do what is best for you life won't be good if you try to make everyone but yourself happy.

no           .

No , us shuld unfriend her with her life

you didn't have to unfriend her, you can just unfollow someone if they post too much. go to their profile then there will be an unfollow button beside the unfriend button

• e9601:

No, don't feel bad.

You can 'friend' her back and hide, snooze or unfollow all her posts. There's an option for that when you click on those 3 little dots at the top of a post . You shouldn't have to put up with it, but if it's causing family friction, maybe it's just better to do it that way. That way you can just smile and nod and not have to look at anything she sends. You can also report her posts as something you don't want to see or that seem offensive. You can also ask your gf to do the same--and that way she won't be able to comment. You can also BLOCK her. 

OR you can tell her the truth--that you really don't like to read all her posts or comments and hope she gets mad enough to disappear. From the rest of your question, I'd say that was the nuclear option and probably would cause more trouble than you're willing to get into. But it's the one I'd use, frankly. 

Of course, you had to take that action. I think she probably knew it and was in some way waiting for it.  When friends and relatives ask why you did it, tell them to just take a look at her previous posts.  You don't need to defend yourself.  It's your personal space and you let in who you decide. 

Yes you should absolutely feel bad about that, family is forever. There is a way you can hit Unfollow on a friend but keep them as a Facebook friend if you don’t want to see their posts all the time.

Yes. You can temporarily block someone without unfriending them.