Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

My blood sugar reading was 150 is that good ?

I have relatives with type 2 diabetes 

• Shay

That depends on WHEN you took the reading.

The ONLY time that reading might be okay would be if you took a reading at LESS than two hours after eating.

Fasting readings (8 or more hours with no food/carbohydrates) should be between 75 to 99.

Readings taken TWO HOURS after a meal should be below 140.  If you test BEFORE two hours, then you MIGHT get a slightly higher reading because your body needs time to process what you ate.  If your reading of 150 was taken in under two hours after a meal, then it is very possible that it was okay as it probably would have made it below 140 had you actually waited for the full two hours.

Any other random readings should be between 80 to 120.

A reading of 150 could indicate that  you might have a problem.  OR it could have also been just a random fluke caused by a testing error.

You can take more readings at home.  Make sure your hands are clean and your meter is in calibration.  Make sure your test strips are not expired.  Make sure you are testing at the correct time to know what a good reading would be.  If you get more readings that are above normal ranges, then contact your doctor to get tested for diabetes.

Having relatives with type 2 diabetes can increase your risks for developing type 2.  Part of it depends on how closely related they are to  you.  (for example, your risk is higher if the relatives are your parents or siblings)  Genetic factors are part of the risk but does not guarantee that you would develop diabetes.  It is a good reason to watch your weight, watch what you eat, and stay active.  

Edit: I notice that someone, that knows absolutely nothing about blood glucose levels is offering thumbs down again.  I pity that person's lack of understanding ... or should that be stupidity?  I can assure the questioner that what I've written is ABSOLUTELY, 100% correct.

No, my friend, a blood sugar (glucose) level of 150 mg/dL (milligrams per deciLiter) is NOT good.

A non-diabetic's blood sugar level would not normally rise above 140 mg/dL two hours after eating.  I say "normally" as there are instances when blood sugar levels could rise above this level, such as if your house was on fire and you were desperately trying to get everyone out safely; you were involved in a 'fire fight', such as if you were in a military war zone; if you'd been involved in some sort of serious accident, etc. etc.

It IS everything to do with having close family members that are also type 2 diabetic as there is a strong genetic component in the development of type 2 diabetes.

That depends on the scale. If it's milligrams per decilitre, you are borderline diabetic and need to attend to your diet. Healthy levels are around 100 although your doctor will be able to tell you what's right for you. Cut back on sugar and starch. If you are overweight, losing some weight should improve things.

If it's millimoles per litre, you are a packet of sugar.

Nothing to do with relatives, it is to do with bad diet and lack of exercise and was your 150 reading before or after food, take it 2 hours after eating and if it is below 100 you are ok and above then go ask your doctor for blood test. I am type 2 diabetic but no parent or grandparent ever had it.

Hyperglycemia. not good but not yet "deadly".  lose some weight for your own health (it will also protect your from Corona Virus. Diabetes is a major factor in virus deaths).