promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is there anything wrong with both parenting techniques?

Parents of a 19 year old.

Mother doesnt want child to live and study in America because she'll be far away. She's trying to convince her daughter to stay close to her. Shes worried about what's going to happen to her. She doesnt know what the economy is like in America even when she researches the area.

Father wants his child to study and live in America  he thinks it's a great experience as long as she researches different areas of the state that she's living in. She needs to experience independence and find her two feet. He'll worry about her but she needs to fly the nest.

Both parents argue about who is right or wrong.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

i think Momma is right, 19 might be considered legal age but MOST 19 year old are still immature and just not ready to be fully let loose.

Kid should stay close to her parents till shes a little older and wiser

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Mom isn't parenting, she's just being clingy. Her "concerns" are just an excuse. Dad's approach is healthier. But in fairness, Mom is being a normal mom. Daughter's job is to cut the apron strings.

• 2 months ago

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong. The daughter is an adult. She gets to make her own choices for her life.

Also, look at the mother's reasoning. It's about what's best for the mother, not the daughter. I agree with the dad.

• 2 months ago

These aren't so much parenting techniques as they are parental preferences and neither is "wrong" or "right"... they just are, you know?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

This is kind of a moot point right now. You aren't coming over to the US anytime soon so the worrying is unnecessary. With the COVID19 virus running amok all over the country, travel restrictions are such that you will not be allowed to enter the US at all. So your Mother will get her wish of you studying closer to home.

• Annisa2 months agoReport

She won't be going there any time soon, she's staying at home but is working full time. Her plan is to go in several years when she's mature.

• 2 months ago

Parents who have raised successful, confident adults will support what their children have a passion for (as long as it is legal and moral : ) and not try to impose their own ideas or wishes on them.

We currently have one daughter who lives five miles away, one who lives 200ish miles away, and one who lives over 4,000 miles away.  These are all things *they* chose, and we support because we raised them to make intelligent, well thought out decisions.

• edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I think mothers have a stronger connection with their kids. Like when i graduated high school i had a few options in where i could go to study. My parents were the same way when i was going to college only thing that is different is that if i went to the USA to study in the field i have chosen...my degree is good in the USA and Canada. I don’t have to go to school again or take another test to do my job elsewhere

• JimTom
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Thats a typical mothers bond. The daughter should have her say too. Its not uncommon for kids to study abroad, there is usually more opportunities elsewhere. Nothing bad can come from it really, its a good experience. i dont see how the economy would be an issue at all.

• 2 months ago

Everything is wrong. It’s up to the 19 year old to decide. Parents should mind their own business. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

father doesnt give a **** about her life, mother doesn't give a **** about her life

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.