Can they fire you for being out sick for coronavirus symptoms?

My brothers work is basically  saying if he doesnt come in tonight he is fired, however he had a doctor's note to be self quarantined for 2 weeks with symptoms of the covid-19 (It says excused from work till the 12th of this month.) 

So can his work legally fire him?

Favorite Answer

They should fire him only if it causes him to kill them out of anger and burn the entire workplace building down after (like they'd deserve for firing him for something he can't help).

Note to your brother: "If they fire you, sue them, if you lose in court, kill them."

Source(s): I'd do the same f*cking thing if they fired me for that reason. I'd threaten them on the phone before doing it though. (I hate people)

I don’t think they can legally do that, and if they do and he can gather enough evidence that they did this, they’re screwed in court.

No he they cannot fire him. In fact if they made him come in to work willingly knowing he has COVID-19 symptoms and force him to be in contact with other people and they get infected, they should get in trouble for that. Tell your bother tho call his Dr maybe they have more information of where he can find information on that matter. I am pretty sure he can take some legal action if they fire him.

• Connor

I don’t think so, if there is evidence to proof that he had Covid 19 then why would they force him to come into work? 

If this were to happen I think it would be wise to tell the newspapers about that.  I think he'd have a very good case and would probably be applauded for doing the correct thing. That would embarrass his employer.

Hmmmm..... Americans

If you live in an at will state they can fire you for any reason good or bad unless it's under Title 7 of 1964 based on gender, race,sex, etc.

They can still fire him, sure.

Your brother is FLAT OUT LYING about having such a note.

They can legally fire him for lying.

• Athena

Sure, why not?

Does he have a contract or a Union agreement?

i would hope not