promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

If 90% of high school grads go to college, how come so few Americans have a degree?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Fictional numbers are worse than worthless. They make your readers know LESS than those who don't read your statements.  And THAT is how Trumplandia exists.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

if that number was true 90% then all high schools would have to have a almost equal size college Right next to it  ... the number is more like 15% attend college and 10% get a degree  ---- noting certificate for 9 weeks job training class is not a college degree ..... but the real problem is the number of useless degrees like art , music and other no job providing fields   -- after 4 year or 10 years for some they find them selves working right next to a guy with a high school diploma paid more because he has 4 year plus on the job training 

usable knowledge is very rare in college required classes 

• ron h
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

in most schools, more than 15% got to college.   "useless" degrees is a matter of opinion-some people just like th learn stuff. For many years, you could get lots of jobs that were not related to your degree, but that's less true now.  AND yes, there's people with degrees, doing child day care. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Not all who enroll will graduate.  Sometimes life gets in the way.  Back when I was in High School only 30% of students went on to college, but then the college bound high school graduates back then didn't need remedial math and english classes to make up for what they didn't get in their public school education.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Where are you getting that number?  I would be amazed if it was that high.  It would mean that out of every 10 kids, only one didn't go to college.  I doubt that.

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Following are some highlights from the October 2018 data:

--Among recent high school graduates age 16 to 24, college enrollment rates

for men and women were 66.9 percent and 71.3 percent, respectively.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I don't think 90% go to college. I could be wrong.

But the reason that not everyone who went to college has a degree is that many of them don't finish college. The dropout rate is substantial, for many reasons. At one end of the spectrum, you have Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, etc., who dropped out because they started highly successful tech companies that required their full time attention. At the opposite end of the spectrum, there are students who couldn't pass the classes, couldn't afford the financial cost of staying in college, had medical problems, etc.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Lots of people take some college courses but not enough to graduate.

• 2 months ago

the proportion of high school graduates who go straight to college has increased from 63 percent in 2000 to 70 percent now, the Department of Education says.Jul 5, 2018

• Scott
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'm sure 90% don't go to college. Probably closer to 70%.

• 2 months ago

Dropped out or withdrew.

• 2 months ago

Because they don't finish college

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.