Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My mother in law gives my two year old son Tea and Dr. Pepper all day. How can I get it to stop?

It’s extremely frustrating. I feel like she doesn’t have any respect for what I want for him because I’m not his biological mother. However, I have been raising him as mine for a year and a half as his mother had her parental rights stripped for being a meth addict. Which also doesn’t help the situation as she did meth while she was pregnant with my step son. So he is high strung and extremely hyperactive as it is without the added caffeine. I have to wash his sheets every morning because he pees through his diaper at night because she gives him tea and Dr. Pepper ALL day. I should mention that she lives about six yards from me. So I can’t exactly keep him from going to her house because he walks between my house and hers all day. When he comes to my house I take the soda and give him ice water. He pitches a fit and goes back to her house to get his fix. I’ve told her time and time again he shouldn’t be drinking this at his age but she says I’m being “too strict.” My husband has also told her not to give him these sweet drinks and she doesn’t listen. Would it be wrong of me to just stop allowing him to go over there since she refuses to respect my wishes? 

• Archer

Stop leaving your child with her. She needs to understand "she" needs to conform to your rules when "your" child is in her presents or care and if she doesn't she will not be allowed such. I would ensure your husband, the father of that child concurs first though.

Stop your son from going over to her house and have his own healthy drinks ready and available. Your the Mother what you say goes, after all your raising him as n your own. Set your boundaries very firmly and stick to it.

i would just stop allowing him to go there

Get a letter from the doctor which says the child can not consume any sugar at all.

I don't think it would be wrong of you to keep him home unless you go over there with him. And when you do? Take your own refreshment for him.

Sugar is the worst thing any of us can eat. And there is an epidemic right now in the USA of children and teens who have diabetes. Sugar causes inflammation in the body, and it's not that good for the brain.

You're doing the right thing by limiting the child's sugar intake

• Imp

You definetly don't have an issue with you just want it to be a once in a while treat, tell her this and if she still doesn't listen keep him from her. You can't control her only your stepson!

Hmm. Ask her if trying to over control things makes her lack  feeling having your step son possible brain damaged from so much caffeine, is worth it?

If she keeps wanting to come over too much and is not too bad in the other direction yet; have her come in and have to change all of the extra diapers at night, then wash them herself or have to  pay for them. 

Put your foot down if she is already too out of control, so that she willNot be permitted back in. Just ask your husband for his agreement to understand, stand on your side. 

You may tell the judge about this and her use of meth? 

Pray to God for what is better,  God may know an even better answer. 

Since he's in walking distance tell them both if it doesn't stop the he's going to stay over there

• A

If he is young enough to be in a diaper he is too young to be allowed to walk to her house alone, your husband is the one who needs to talk to his mother, but you need to keep him from having free run to go over there, if she wants to see him, have it be in YOUR home.

Why is the two year old taking himself back and forth between houses? Who is the adult in this scenario? If you are caring for him, you say, "No, we are not going to grandma's house right now." Someone needs to actually parent that child, a two year old doesn't get to decide to just leave the house and go to another house as he wishes.