promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can we stop our landlord from letting her have people view the house we;re renting due to COVID-19?

So we live in San Antonio, TX. As mostly everywhere else, we're told to only leave the house if you're working on grabbing essentials.

Our lease is up and she cleared them for viewing the house and putting us at risk. My bf's mom is immuno-comprimised and we occasionally see her to take her items she may need. For all we know the person our landlord is ALLOWING into our renting space with no regard if they're wearing PPE is stressing us out!

Is there anything we can do to have our landlord stopped from doing this till AFTER we move out (April 30th 2020)?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If you're under a stay at home order report them to local governmental authorities. Perhaps the county Judge who issued the stay at home order. I know in Denton County Real Estate isn't essential business. The office at my apartments as a matter of fact isn't even open during all of this.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Who
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

pay rent up the end of the notice period but move out say 3 weeks earlier - the landlord is then free to let others see it in those 3 weeks

(at this time there is an unusual situation - It maybe the risk to you from strangers coming in to view may outweigh the landlords right to let them view

ONLY a lawyer could advise you

But moving out early could be an easier (and cheaper)  option

your bfs mother has nothing to do with other people coming into your house

you cannot impose the problems incurred by you going to see her onto others)

• R P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can pay another month's rent. Your landlord can then use that month to find another tenant.

• 2 months ago

" My bf's mom is immuno-comprimised and we occasionally see her to take her items she may need. " - Yeah, you are not endangering her.

No, you cannot stop LL from showing or inspecting the property.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No you cannot stop them from showing it. The pandemic DOES NOT change any landlord tenant laws. 

The fact you harassed your landlord into doing virtual tours does not change the fact that they DO NOT have to. 

• 2 months ago

No.  The landlord is entitled by law to show the property.  It's a bad time for moving.  Why'd you choose now?  You made that choice, not the landlord.  If it were me, I would have extended the lease, even if just on a month to month basis.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 2 months ago

They shouldn’t even do that, it’s non essential, and they could do virtuall tour or photos online

• 2 months ago

If you are moving out, your landlord has the right to show the property.

Can you fight it? who are you going to fight it with? 

- The courts are barely functioning. 

- Housing is essential so the landlord is allowed to find new tenants for when you leave.

Regardless of this situation, unless you are 100% self-isolating, you need to stop seeing mom.  Leave items for her or when you go in her house, she is in another room.

= you need to take the premise that everyone that you or his is around is also around mom.  This is the same for anyone else who visits her.

If you still don't want people in your place, your options are:

- move out now (you won't get rent back)

- work with landlord to stay through May (you would need to pay). 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You have no legal grounds to stop the landlord from showing THEIR property .

@ Barry, it's not a criminal matter it's a civil matter.

• 2 months ago

you don't need to physically see mom.  where gloves and a mask when you pick stuff up, leave it outside her door.  use hand sanitizer on the gloves periodically.

you can continue your tenancy and pay rent until this is over.

you can move out now.

you have no legal grounds to stop showings.

many areas are still allowing housing .....nj just prohibits open houses.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.