Shadow asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Caring for a bird injured by cat?

I came across a neighbor's cat playing with a bird this morning and scooped it away. I'm not certain if the cat bit it and thus whether it is potentially infected. The cat was just batting at it with its paws on the ground when I saw. 

The bird doesn't have any visible injuries or bleeding. It was beeping when the cat was batting at it and beeped a couple of times when I brought it into the house. I feel like the bird is in shock and I currently have it in a box on the floor. I've lined the bottom with a towel and I placed a wrapped hot water bottle inside and covered the box with a towel to block out light. (I'm doing my best to follow the instructions of https://www.greencrossvets.com.au/pet-library/arti... 

I called my local veterinarian and the lady working the front desk that took the calls recommended me to contact animal services. I contacted animal services (the police branch) in my community, but since they don't have a vet on-site they informed me they would have to euthanize the bird. Would this be the best route to take? 

What can I do to increase the chances of the bird surviving shock and if it does survive, where do I go from there?

The bird is of the perching variety and yellow/olive-green in coloration. It looks similar to a female Lesser Goldfinch, but I'm hesitant to make identifications. It is quite small. 

• Ocimom

Doubt if the bird will survive more then a few days.  Best to just put it outside in a bush.  

• Maxi

If the cat ws playing with it then the cat had injured it enough not to allow it to fly away and it was already injured and will die, if not from the injury itself but from the shock that set in immediately....... so 'saving it' you haven't done it is 99% likely to die ( or already be dead)

the bird might have been sick and just fell and was dying and thus cat was playing with it. there is this parasite birds get by eating infected insect and then they become weak that cats can catch them easily and thus a cat eats the bird and gets infected as well. it is called mononucleosis. u should NOT touch injured birds neither encourage cats playing with them. birds are very filthy, u can get all sorts of disease from them. get rid of it

They do stay in shock for quite some time, but it also needs food.  Put it under a tree, in the shade.  It will gather its senses and be on its way probably within a couple of hours.

• Tulip

Get that germ laden bird OUT of your house

• JJ

Put the bird outside in a place away from cats and sheltered from sun or rain. Let it try to recover naturally, without your assistance. That is the bird's best chance for survival. Try to do this as soon as possible because exposure to you is probably causing distress.