promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how long does defragging your computer take?

and does it remove any media files like pictures and music when you defrag?  and how do you defrag your computer?

i still have a windows 7 desktop pc, custom built and i haven't defragged this computer since i bought it in september 2015......so i thought it would be a good idea now.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

depends on how fragmented the drive in question is, and how fast your computer is.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

In my point of view it depends how much files you have in your computer.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ffffffgggghhggg

• 2 months ago

Windows 7 doesn't do that automatically, Windows 10 does. As to how long it takes, that depends on how much is on the drive and how long it is since it was last defragmented.  It could take some considerable time if the drive hasn't been defragmented in living memory.  You shouldn't defrag an SSD if that's what you have, you should use TRIM. Most defragmenters will do that automatically when you start them.

• Umar2 months agoReport

http://raboninco.com/9fi0

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Windows pretty much does it automatically pretty decently without having to worry about it.

For windows defrag open an explorer window > this PC right click any drive choose properties and go to the tools tab. (windows 10 search defrag in start menu can't remember if there is a faster way in windows 7)

ssd you may want to run if you have made a lot of changes (does a trim instead of a defrag)  You do not want to do a regular defrag on an SSD ever.  Other than that windows does a decent job of defragging these days just check you are hapopy with the auto settings.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It can take a while.  I like to to that in "safe mode" WITHOUT networking. Those make it a little faster.  How?  In WIN 10, search for "defrag'   No, you don't lose data or programs.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

With hard disk sizes into the terrabyte level nowadays, it may take the whole day or more to finish.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

how long it takes depends on how full the drive is, and how fragmented it is. a 1TB drive that is only 1/4 full won't take over 2 hours, typically.

• 2 months ago

Don't know, it's been many years.  Generally, you don't need to.  IF the drive is an SSD, it is VERY wasteful.  The reason to do defrag is speed things up. SSD's are fast no matter where the data is.

For the spinners, many factors determine speed including the state of the drive.  It takes almost no time if the last time you did that was last week.  If it is the first time in a very long time, it can take many hours.

No, it doesn't remove media.  It uses a safe way of handling files.  It won't delete till a copy is in the new place.

As for how, here https://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/how-to-defra...

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

How long it takes depends on the size of the drive and how badly it's fragmented. If you've never defragged in 5 years it's probably fragmented pretty badly and that can effect performance, it will slow performance down. Windows has it's own defragment utility. Click on the Start Button and type "defrag" to find it. 

The time it takes doesn't necessarily depend on the amount of files you have because defragging also moves and organizes empty space sectors together.

The tool I use does the same thing but it also includes other features like a graphical display that shows you the sectors on each drive. It's free and shows a lot more info and has a lot of features the Windows utility does not have:https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler

The windows tool doesn't show you anything. Defraggler (the link above) does, and has several other convenient features. For example it allows you to view the files and shows you how much fragmentation each file has, you can select individual files to defragment which makes the process a heck of a lot faster. 

• 2 months ago

degragging takes ... depends on cpu speed, disk size, and available disk space. [defrag moves the content, file by file, to the empty space, then consolidates the content into unified blocks, and puts it back into the now empty space.] My suggestion is to rent a good movie, start the defrag job and then go watch the movie with idea that you will let defrag run overnight. The movie? that's to keep your mind occupied and not watching the progress ... after movie ends, the percentage complete will let you estimate when the whole will be done so you can plan whether your computer will be available to use in the morning

Source(s): grampa
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.