How did the police know I was the one driving my fiance's vehicle? ?

So my fiance and I decided to go to Wal-Mart to get some shopping done. We decided to take her car instead of my own. She wanted me to drive, which is nothing new so I did. Added points the vehicle is in her name only, she has insurance but only in her name, and my name is not on any paperwork or associated with her vehicle. I do have my own insurance for my vehicle, but it also covers me when I drive anyone else's vehicle. So we finally got to Wal-Mart and I parked when my fiance looked out the back to see a cop has pulled us over. So he walked up to out window but what freaks me and my Fiance out to this day is the first thing he asked was "Are you (insert my name here)? ". So my question is how did he know I was the one driving her car, or that I was in the vehicle at all? I do not have a record, I have one minor traffic ticket that I paid in 2017. So I don't know how he knew about me at all. 

• car253

Maybe the cop knew you.   Or, maybe you are on the car registration or on the insurance and you just don't know it.   

It's not only Google that knows everything, the local cops do as well.

• Edna

Well, dummy -  the traffic officer knew you were the person driving the car, because he could see that you  were the one who was driving when you parked.

• May

How do you expect us to answer how the cop knew about you?  You will have to ask the cop sonnyboy.

By the way, your knowlege of Auto insurance is so FXXXXd up that it is beyond explanation here.

What is your big concern?  If he ran her tag, he may have been able to pull you up if you live in the same household, share a phone number or whatever.

Did he body slam you over your name?  

He is your fiance's side guy.

Sounds like some sort of computer cross match.

Are you saying you are specifically excluded from her coverage?  "You" do NOT give an insurance carrier the name of everyone who MIGHT drive the car when you get insurance.  The vehicle is insured, not the driver.  Certain people - in MY State anyone 25 or under - can be automatically excluded.

Your fiance looked out the back and saw the Officer?  You, the driver, never saw him?

I own a sports car.  My husband was driving.  When we got stopped, I was in the vehicle, the Officer asked for proof that we are married.  I have no idea why.  It was "just a routine check," probably because of the car, but still ...

• Coquihalla

"Marriage? Who does that? We just Fawk alot". It has nothing to do with insurance or driving or carrying drugs. So question is not relevant(unless you look underage).

He's a psychic 😉       

• Bort

Lack of info. Was it a local cop? It's a local police officers job to know people in the community they work in. 

You should also be more aware of your surroundings when you're driving. The fact that you didn't know you were pulled over at all, your fiance had to tell you, is horrendously scary! You should be scanning your mirrors every few seconds when you're driving and know exactly what's going on in every direction around you, not just in front of you.