promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I have a printer at home, but when I insert the usb into my school laptop, nothing happens and the printer does not seem to connect. ?

The printer is a HP Laserjet P2035 and the laptop is a Latitude 3189 on windows 10. 

Update:

My district also restricts content that makes changes to the computer, so a new driver will not work. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It's actually very simple. A computer needs the drivers for the printer to enable it to print. You cannot install the drivers on the school laptop you have.  That is not unusual. Schools usually restrict students from installing things on their machines. 

Therefore follow TomB's advice, take what you want to print to your own computer and print from there. Job done.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You need to install the printer drivers first before it will work with the laptop. Go to the official HP website to install the needed drivers. There should be instructions there too on how to do it.

• 2 months ago

you have to install the printer on the laptop. this is a function in the operating system, it is NOT automatic

• TomB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you have a printer @ home, you must have another computer. 

Save your work to a flash drive or email it to yourself, go to another computer that is connected to your printer and print your work.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Your update answers the question.  If you can't install software or drivers because of restrictions by  the school, you won't be able to connect the printer because it's trying to install the driver and failing.   You need to have someone from the district remote into the laptop to install the driver for you.  Call them.

• 2 months ago

" I insert the usb into my school laptop, nothing happens " means what?  What "usb"--a connector cable?  A data stick or flash drive?

What did you expect to happen?  What does it mean "printer does not connect"?  No connection between laptop and printer?

Are you taking a school laptop with restricted operating system and connecting it to a different printer you have at home?

You have no computer at home?  What was the "at home printer" using to get stuff to print?

Can't you take the items to print out of the school computer and put them into the home computer?  Flash drive?  Does the "at home" printer have a flash drive port for data to print on it?

Can you connect the school computer to the home network and push files to print to the home computer and maybe through it to the home printer?

That is all that can be suggested from few details from you.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It's probably due to how the school laptop has been setup. The school might have USB ports blocked / turned off so people can't put their own crap on it and possibly infect it with a virus. Schools do that to protect them and minimize issues that cause their equipment to need repair.

You can ask the IT people at the school about it but there's a chance their reply is going to be something like I explained above. If you're supposed to be allowed to put things on it from a usb flash drive they'll fix it or replace the laptop with one that works.

• Ethan2 months agoReport

Thanks, this is helpful.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

go to HP's website and download the appropriate printer driver onto your laptop.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.