promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can a housing application ask for any felony conviction ?

Housing application for mobile home park states ' have you ever been convicted of a felony'. Partner has a felony that is 30 years old and ive never seen that question phrased like that. Ive only seen 'convicted within last 7-10 years.' Can they ask for that far back? We live in kansas and the application is to buy the home but rent the lot its in. 

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

yes, and they should

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am not familiar with Real Estate law in Kansas, but in my state it is legal to ask, but it is illegal to discriminate on that basis.

• 2 months ago

sorry, yes they can................................

• 2 months ago

Yes, they can ask that if they want.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

There is no law against asking ANY question.  That right is guaranteed under the first amendment.

• 2 months ago

Sure, they can ask this. Criminals is not a protected class (ie a group of people against whom you cannot discriminate - you can legally refuse to rent to felons).  You may want to simply tell them that your partner was a felon but it was 30 years ago and they have learned that lesson, and is this going to be a problem.  Since its that long ago, maybe they'll let it go but may as well get it out there now and if this is going to be a problem, just look elsewhere.

• 2 months ago

Felonies are for life.  Once a felon, you ARE a felon.  It's part of your record - who and what you are.  It isn't something that just dissolves after a few years.  It sounds like he will be rejected.  They have every right to ask - they have a responsibility to protect other tenants.  They will run a background check too.  Save your money and look elsewhere, because he will be charged for the running of a background check.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not sure about Kansas law, but I'd probably be open and honest.  "yes, in 19.. (with any explanation you feel necessary)".  That long ago, I doubt the landlord would care very much.  Most of us have done things in our past that we are ashamed of.  Likely your prospective landlord has as well.

• ...Show all comments
    • David
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I wasn't necessarily talking about criminal things, just things they wish they'd never done.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Absolutely ! They want to keep the riff raff out.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Barring state laws that prohibit it, yes.  If there are any laws, they should be in the state's or city/town landlord and tenant laws

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.