Char asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

Nikon Coolpix L840 Lens Error?

My Nikon Coolpix L840 has a lens error whenever I turn it on. The lens won’t come out of the housing. My lens says “NIKKOR 38X WIDE OPTICAL ZOOM ED VR” on the top and “4.0-152mm 1:3-6.5” on the bottom.

Edit: There is something rattling inside the camera when I shake it, but the object is suspended to the camera somehow.

• Frank
    Favorite Answer

More than likely the lens barrel has come off of its track.  The camera needs to be repaired and at $399, it's worth getting repaired at least once.  But since it needs to be repaired, you might try pulling on the lens barrel to see if you can get it back into place.  I did this with a Canon point-and-shoot and it worked.  That Canon had the lens barrel sticking out a bit and wouldn't go in.  I simply pushed it into the camera and turned it back on - and it worked.  Since your camera is already broken, you have little to loose by at least seeing if a little push/pull on the lens barrel fixes it.  HOWEVER, do not do this if the camera is still under warranty.

Expect repairs to be roughly $150 USD.

• Char2 months agoReport

I got it for under $399 at Walmart, but I will try getting it repaired by my uncle, he is good at this stuff. I got it for only about $250 so I’m not sure it’s really worth getting it repaired, but I’ll try. Thanks for your answer!