Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

I am a city slicker worrying about collapse of society due to covid19. In case this happens, is taking my family to wilderness the best idea?

Where we will try to hunt for food

Society isn't going to collapse due to COVID-19. 

• John

In order to be able to survive in the wilderness you are going to have to have the equipment to do so.  At this stage, you're looking at an investment that would  easily cost you as much as a few brand new luxury cars--because you would be looking at VERY LONG TERM survival if it came down to it

(1) Shelter--eventually it would have to be more than a tent

(2) Tools of many types --saws, axes, carpentry tools of every type imaginable, nails, screws.

(3) Necessary supplies for hygiene in very large quantities

(4) Literature to read to know what to do (build a shelter, gather wild food, fish, hunt, etc.)

(5) Fishing gear, guns, ammunition

(6) A boat (if you live near water

I could go on and on.  Watch "Alone in the Wilderness" with Richard Pronneke.  It will give you an idea of about what you would need to do.

It's way too late in the game to be doing something like this, due to the overwhelming planning and work and money involved.  Ride it out

• kkguy2 months agoReport

I grew up in the Northwoods and it much easier to survive in a metro area than it is in a wilderness area. Ist of all you don't go strolling off into the woods with no experience. If you are talking about going to a NW resort or motel, go for it.

• Quinn

You are not thinking this through.

First, do you know how to survive in the wilderness? Since you stated you are a city slicker, then the answer is no.

Second, society is not going to collapse even though the current generation are IMO wimps compared to our ancestors. For much of human history there were far more lethal epidemics that killed millions every year. Diseases such as tuberculous, cholera, diphtheria, plague, smallpox, polio, and even flu such as the 1919 Flu Pandemic that killed between 75 to 100 million people around the world when the population of the world was less than 2 billion. It was only in the last 70 years that we had vaccines for them. When I was born, the idea that people could survive cancer was but a dream. Today, millions are survivors of cancer. Before the advent of modern medicine, people were dying from the common cold and from infections from a simple cut.

Covid-19 should not be taken lightly but at the same time it is not like the truly scary diseases our great grandparents and ancestors had to faced and faced without any cures.

Last, you can't get out of life alive. If it is your time, it is your time and no amount of worrying is going to change that. What matters is how you live and conduct yourself in the face of adversity. You are the role model for your children and through your actions and words they will learn (or not) how to face the dark times in their lives with grace, courage and fortitude, or you can turn them into frightened rabbits. The choice is yours.

• BBean

I am a country bumpkin` that worries about city slickers coming to my door in despair.

The city dwellers may forgive...the wilderness does not.

The wilderness does not discriminate...treats everyone the same.

The city dwellers do discriminate but never admit it.

The wilderness can show you unsurpassed beauty while hiding its treachery.

If you dare challenge the wilderness come prepared. The wilderness has been challenged millions of times but never defeated.So come on...the wilderness welcomes a newbie.  

• JOHN B

Gary, are you going from sector to sector spouting this sheet. I see you everywhere. I seriously doubt that you have a family.

• Mr.357

If you have to ask, probably not.  If you have no experience hunting or in the wilderness you would probably be best staying in town and eating rats and pigeons.

If you can find someone with excellent proven survival and outdoors skills willing to take you on - go for it.  

I graduated from two military survival schools.  I have watched 'smart men' do foolish things during the outdoor phase of the training that would have killed them and anyone who followed them, or, looked to them for guidance.

When I moved to Alaska from the Boston area I could shoot, I could build custom guns - but that was it.  Took me nearly 9 years before I felt confident to do a 3-4 week hunt by myself and even then I did some crap that could have gotten me hurt bad or killed.  There is your answer.

Your best bet - take stock of what you have and you and your wife's skills.  Then make a list of the things you don't know about that are important.  Internet will help here.  Then form a group.  You need some strong backs, a mechanic, a nurse or EMT, gunslinger, and cook that knows how to can and put food up.  You will need to avoid other groups or risk getting sick.  You want to hit woods with ATV's - look for the lighter 300-400cc models that get an outrageous MPG.  Grab a more powerful one if you need to yank a heavy trailer. 

• Joe g2 months agoReport

You are also dying from cancer!

I really think moving your family to  a wilderness area would be a very bad idea.

Even with outdoor skills it is a tough lifestyle only for the brave and hardy.

• C T M

Yes, for you that's the best thing you could do. Take your pretend family to the wilderness and hunt for food and drink water from the stream. Perfect plan, nothing could go wrong. You're a genius.

thats up to you

• C T M

You're still an idiot, with what...15 accounts now?