Want to be an architect but lacking qualifications -(UK based)?

I'm from Scotland and currently finishing up my final block in NC interior architecture. I've been accepted into HNC interior design even without a higher in English. I'd really like to become an architect and I get funded by SASS for only 4 years starting after summer.

I'm freaking out because I searched that an architect will need a maths and science, physics mainly, qualification and I am bad at both subject and don't have them. I didn't know what I wanted to do in high school and left a year early. I also skipped school a lot before because of personal reasons and didn't take it seriously enough which I now regret obviously. Is there any way I could still become an architect possibly? I can't spend a year doing just maths or just physics as it is a waste of my 4 years funding when it could be put into continuing my course. I've got told if I manage to get into university and study the course that I'll just have to work harder to catch up with people who have the qualifications but can still get an official architect qualification then a job? Or is that not the case?I've also heard about cheap part-time night courses being available for certain subjects but I don't know anything about that or if it's even true.Thanks for anyone who responds.

• cool

Don't go to university for architecture. Apply for apprenticeships instead.

The good thing about apprenticeships is that you will receive honest feedback about whether or not you have the aptitude for the job.

Good luck!

If you already know you're not good at math and science, why do you want to be an architect?  I hope you like ancient history too because you gon be learning extensively about the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians.  

You gon be sitting in a classroom with fuggin Muhammed Ali straight outta Egypt talking about Ionic, Doric and Corinthian columns all day.  You gon read a very dry 12 inch thick novel printed in size 1 font (hope you brought your microscope with you!)  Talk about bore me to fuggin tears!

You probably won't make it through the program.  Even if you do that'll be a miserable job for you.  If I were you I'd avoid all jobs that deal with math and science on a daily basis.

No shot whatsoever, sorry. Maybe before corona. But corona will make things much harder as far as education goals. Businesses like Walmart and McDonald's are hiring. 

• anon2 months agoReport

Corona will pass- not the end of the world.

Maths is an essential subject to become an architect.  A year may not be enough to get there.  Your risk is that you find you are not cut out for science highers.  By the way, architects take 7 years to fully qualify, not 4.  Then the pay is rubbish.  If you have been accepted into an HNC to do interior design, that sound like a great solution.