is jogging a lot bad for you?

i'm a male aged 42 and i like to jog when i can to maintain my health, fitness, and keep my weight down as i'm prone to putting on weight, plus i take an antipsychotic which can make you hungry, eat more, thus put on weight..

now the local gym has been shut because of the coronavirus pandemic, i can't go there anymore to swim, which is what i was doing....i was just going the gym to swim vigorously to maintain my health and keep fit.

so now i can't go swimming, i thought doing jogging regularly would do me some good...........but someone just answered my question earlier and said they know people who jogged a lot when they were younger and now they have spine and knee problems?...............plus they added that doctors are of the opinion that jogging does more harm than good.

so what should i do?  what are your thoughts?

• W
    Favorite Answer

I have found that walking as fast I can for a long distance (ie 5 miles or so) can get a fair cardio workout. Better on the knees and joints, too.

No, jogging is very good for you

• Adam D

Anyone doing anything improperly is going to be prone to injuries.  Using poor equipment (improper shoes, for instance), not properly warming up, trying to do too much too soon, etc., will tend to cause you harm, no matter what physical activity you're doing.  Doing things right, taking the time to properly acclimate oneself to an activity, minimizes the risk of injury.

I'm not aware of any doctor who's of the opinion you've listed.

It is true that runners are more prone to injuries and conditions later in life involving their knees/ankles. However, I have never heard of a doctor that says jogging does more harm than good. 

Yes. Too hard on knees & hips. Just go for a brisk walk instead,