Is Doctor Who (just) for kids?

Being a Whovian I feel like one of those Brony's who says My Little Pony isn't just for kids. There's no question the Ecclestone era and the Whittaker era have been aimed increasingly at kids, arguably to the detriment of its quality.

No.  In fact I think it's less for kids now than for adults.  Originally, back in the 60s, it was intended mostly for kids.  The idea was to be semi-educational, with his ability to travel in time being used to explore different historical eras.  And the original creator didn't want "bug eyed monsters" which he felt were frivolous.  But Who has gotten more oriented towards adults over the years as people who viewed it in their youths grew up.  The 21st century series is more geared towards adults, with more emotionally and narratively complex stories. 

• Zheia

I watched Dr Who from the early days when William Hartnell was the Dr, right up to the end of Tom Baker. I did watch a few of the 1989 episodes when Silvester McCoy was the Dr, but it wasn't the same and I pretty much stopped when Tom Baker finished, because I felt it was time to move on from it. 

I watched a few of the 2005 episodes. 

I would say the two films Dr Who and the Daleks, and Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 (Peter Cushing as the Dr) are for definitely for kids but are still good to watch.

• Joe

I consider the show to be a metaphor for Britain in World War II.  Ordinary men and women were called upon to do extraordinary things.  They stepped up, and triumphed over an unimaginable evil.

The Doctor would be nothing without his companions.

How many Dr. Who episodes fit that model?

We need the Doctor today, more than at any time in history.

No is deals with adult themes alot so would say it is for adults.

Hate the show, I dislike near all shows that depict that there is a multitude of life in the universe.

• Leo

Not at all!  When the series was relaunched a few year ago I was immediately hooked.  I'm also a Torchwood fan.

not according to the Millions of over 30 Whovians- I am 60!

Been a fan since the mid 80's- oh and american

Well, Dr. Who WAS a children's show.  The New Who is actually LESS kid-oriented than it's predecessor since it's aimed at people who grew up watching Dr. Who.  But it's still quite innocent and campy, which can come off childish.

But I view it as a show having fun with sci fi concepts without taking itself too seriously.  If you enjoy it, then enjoy it.

It is supposed to be for all ages. A family programme.

• Disco Stu2 months agoReport

Some of its themes are dark. Characters die. Species die.

• Kathy

It is not for kids............