How much money should I have saved up before I move to NYC?

I currently have $4,000 in the bank, and if I sell my car I'll get $2,500 for it. I am not planning on living in midtown, I'm thinking like Brooklyn

Favorite Answer

I would say at least $10,000, and then room with a couple of other people

Source(s): Being obsessed with moving to NYC for the past year

As i currently have $4, 000 with the bank or investment company, incase As i put up for sale a truck I most certainly will secure $2, 500 as it. My group is not even intending to require midtown,

Don't move unless you have a job lined up first.  

As for how much money you will need, look up how much rent is likely going to be by looking at listing on craigslist.org for NYC.  Then double what the monthly rent will be for your first months rent (1st month + security).  Do you need to buy furniture?  Do you need to buy household items like dishes, glasses, cookware, cutlery etc..   You will need to do an initial stocking up from a grocery store.  All the stuff adds up, where you could burn through a $10,000 quickly.  Then if you don't have a job...you will be going back to Kansas.

You can save money by becoming someone's roommate who already has the furniture etc.. but you may need to buy a bed.  

Source(s): Daughter lives in NYC.

Without a job, and an income from it, no landlord will rent to you.

Thus, you may need the car to sleep in.