Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Does my puppy have worms?

I just got a puggle puppy about two weeks ago & he has a habit of eating from the litter box no matter how many times I try to get him to stop. Last night my puppy had bloody stool with worms in it, but today his bowel movements have looked fine. Do worms pass every single time your dog has to go to the bathroom or only sometimes, because I don't know if I should get him in with a vet or not. Could it have been a one time thing? I’m 17 and this is my first puppy. My parents are making me take care of him and call all of the shots on whether or not he needs to go to a vet for this or just get dewormer from the local farm store/Walmart. HELP!!

He is a 2/3 month old puppy so I don’t know what I can and cannot use on him. 

Call a vet, gotta make sure the pup is always taken care of, God bless 😊

If he had worms yesterday, then he still has worm. He needs worm treatment and likely another set of worm treatments weeks later. Get him to the vet, and buy a litter box with a hood or put it where the dog cannot get to it.

Your puppy is so young, so please bring to the vet. The stuff you buy from the stores are usually for dogs over 3 months old. Worms dont just go away on their own. 

• patty

puppies need to be wormed from an early age and often. weigh your puppy so u know how much and how often to worm your dog

You have a mutt puppy.

Yes he has worms.  Puppies are BORN with worms.  He came from a crap breeder who likely did not follow prooer deworming protocol.

He should be seeing a VET anyways because PUPPIES NEED SHOTS.

• Nekkid Truth!

They wont have as many worms tho.   But this puppy didn't come from a good breeder, so guarantees proper deworming schedule was not used

I don't trust over the counter dewormers. You don't know what kind of parasite you are trying to kill off. If you take a poop sample to a Vet he can do a fecal float to determine what it is that needs to be killed off.

Google, 'internal parasites in dogs' to get an idea what you are fighting.

• E. H. Amos

The reason vets do fecals (under a microscope) is because you cannot SEE worm eggs or worms parts that are smaller than the naked EYE can see.

• Maxi

YES it has worms and no you do not get OTC wormers, you phone the vets order from them and pay and collect or get them to post them to you......... put the litter tray in another room, show the cat where it is, problem solved!

worms continue to grow, take him to the vet to get dewormed, they can kill your pup

• E. H. Amos

Worms will make your puppy WEAK; can cause anemia or nutritional deficiencies & make it MORE PRONE to Parvovirus - which can KILL IT. 

highly likely........Many pups have them from birth on unless they are wormed by a vet or the breeder

If he passed worms then he needs worming FOR SURE. 

Don't allow him near a litter tray.   Litter trays are for cats not dogs and he will end up in trouble if he keeps eating that.  

Only buy veterinary strength wormers as some of the over the counter type can be fatal for dogs.