What should I name the 3rd main character in my book?

I need a 3rd main character in my book and I can’t choose. It’s a boy and he have brown hair and lots freckles. He has ADHD but he’s really nice. Can you please pick a name?

• denise

ANDREW,  BARNEY,  COLIN,  DESMOND,  EDGAR,  FRANCIS,  GREGORY,  HERMAN,  IVAN,  JEREMY,  KEITH,  LAWRENCE,  MAURICE,  NATHAN,  OSCAR,  PHILIP,  QUENTIN,  RORY,  STUART,  THOMAS,  URI,  VINCE,  WARREN,  XAVIER,  YANN,  ZACH.

What does it matter? Nobody has a name that's connected to their freckles or brown hair or ADHD. Or the fact that they're 'really nice'. ANY name that you like will be fine.

What's more, I'll guarantee that whatever name you finally choose will be just as suitable for a boy with black hair and no freckles, without ADHD, and who's not nice at all.

Don't let yourself get hung up on this. Get on with telling your story - THAT is what matters.

• Tina

Desiderius Erasmus is a nice name...not sure it goes with freckles, though.

Call him John Doe and get on with the story. When a better name occurs to you, use 'Find and Replace.'

• Zac Z

Yet another person who apparently thinks someone's name is in any linked to their appearance or character. It is not.

A boy with "brown hair and lots freckles" who "has ADHD but [is] really nice" could have any name.

It's usually the parents who pick the name of their children* so you should think about what is a likely name for them to pick.

In a metaphorical sense YOU are the parent of this character. So go ahead and pick any name.

Some parents make very weird choices. Did you know that the birth name of Anne Rice, who is this author of "Interview with the Vampire", was Howard? No, Rice is not transgender but her mother gave her a boy's name, anyway.

On her website* she wrote: "Well, my birth name is Howard Allen because apparently my mother thought it was a good idea to name me Howard. My father's name was Howard, she wanted to name me after Howard, and she thought it was a very interesting thing to do. She was a bit of a Bohemian, a bit of mad woman, a bit of a genius, and a great deal of a great teacher. And she had the idea that naming a woman Howard was going to give that woman an unusual advantage in the world."

* https://web.archive.org/web/19981205061038/http://...

• Andrew

Todd Blankenship. 

Kalen or Brennon.

Name him... Buck