Does the low-income internet package for $9.95 from Xfinity include unlimited WiFi usage?

Xfinity is currently advertising an internet package for low-income families that's $9.95/month. It says it includes "access to 40 one-hour sessions of Xfinity WiFi Hotspots every 30 days". 

I'm not very well versed in this kind of thing. Does that mean there's a limit on the amount of WiFi you're given to use each month? 

To be clear, if that IS the case then I'm certainly not complaining. It'd be a blessing to have any WiFi at all at that price. I'm just trying to figure out whether or not there's a cap on how much WiFi you're able to use.

Thanks in advance!

• Lv 7

why not call them?

different areas will have different plans.

• BigE

So the Xfinity gateway (and this is all of them) broadcasts 2 networks. One is yours. The other is the HotSpot one, called "xfinitywifi".  You connect to yours, no charge (my understanding).  You connect to the HotSpot, that is what has limitations.

I have used the HotSpot while not at home probably 2 times. I have a modem with a non-Xfinity rdouter but even sitting at my home I see the SSID from my neighbors.

I checked Comcast's (owners of Xfinity) website for more details on their offer so I could better answer this. The details are:

Internet Essentials includes:

25/3 Mbps Internet service for just $9.95 a month plus tax.

New customers receive 60 days complimentary service, if they sign up by April 30, 2020.

No activation fees and no equipment rental fees.

Option to purchase a computer for just $149.99 plus tax.

Access to free Internet training online, in print and in person.

A Wireless Gateway, delivering in-home WiFi at no additional cost.

Access to 40 one-hour sessions of Xfinity WiFi Hotspots every 30 days.

Breaking that down, there are two limitations to the package.

The first is the overall speed of their internet. 25 Mbps down isn't bad, but it's not great. If this is just for you and you're not doing a lot of streaming video, this is fine for home use. You're not limited on your home Wifi use in terms of a data cap, just in terms of your speed.

The second limit is the 40 one hour sessions at their wifi hotspots. Those ae for when you're using your computer when not at home, for an hour at a time max on their wifi.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/comcast-b...

Let me try and explain it this way.

Everyone/anyone who uses Xfinity Internet service and they use an Xfinity provided router, their router automatically becomes an Xfinity Hotspot.  This allows you, as an Xfinity customer to login to these Hotspots and have Internet access.  This is most useful in places like restaurants.  It would also work if you went into the home of another Xfinity customer, providing they use an Xfinity provided router.  If you happen to have a smart phone and you go into a restaurant pull up the Wi-Fi configuration in your device settings and see if you see an SSID being broadcast for "Cable Service" or Comcast or Xfinity or something like that.  If yes, you can login to it using your Xfinity username and password.  The plan limits you to 40 hours per month when using a hotspot.

If you don't use an Xfinity provided router the hotspot feature doesn't apply.  

At your home you can use the Wi-Fi all you want.  No limits.

That bit refers to your roaming privileges. Say you're out and have the sudden urge to park next to an Xfinity customer's house or office and use their Wi-Fi. You can do that 40 times per month, a little more than once a day. At home your Wi-Fi is always on.