promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

I have decided to wear my hair up to work as hairdressers are closed. I got a few looks and sarcastic comments, what to say to starers?

And passive aggressive, borderline nasty comments 

“Oooh you have your hair in a ponytail, you look soooo different,”

“Not sure I like your hAir liike that”

And other comments 

My hair is chin length and im 50 so maybe us “older” women are meant to not have longer hair.?

People are so rude!

I work still

Update:

Either I wear my hair up or cut it myself & I am not doing that!!

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ignore them. The joke making the rounds that when this is over we'll all know everyone's real hair color is very true. Nobody who depends on a stylist to get their look is looking great right now. If you're concerned that a ponytail is a little juvenile for your age do a twist or chignon or something more in keeping with your station in life. But a lot of women are wearing their hair up at the moment.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lisa M
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

'Not sure I like your hair like that?' What the heck? Just say 'Good thing you don't have to wear it then'.

• 2 months ago

You could ask in return, "What are you doing yourself, about the way your hair continues to grow, hair salon or no hair salon?"

Also, there still exists a very classic updo called the French Twist.  It helps if your hair has a bit of wave to it, but with some strong barrettes and long hairpins it can be achieved with hair that would otherwise be long enough for a pony tail.

Search on Google for "image" "hair" "French twist" for lots of different variations.  Some sites even give directions for this updo.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would just wear it like that and not care what people think, im in my 50's and wear a ponytail too

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Tell them all to f off.

• 2 months ago

No need to say anything to anyone. Be proud of how you look.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

When you get those comments - just say - " I know - it sucks that the hairdressers have been forced to close and I can't get my usual haircut.  I guess I am stuck trying new things until they open again."

BTW - anyone who makes a drastic change to their hair will get those kinds of comments.  It isn't just an "age" thing.   

Personally - I am 54 and I have always had hair that falls nearly to my waist.  I always wear a pony tail and sometimes braid the tail.  A couple times when I did cut my hair off - I actually got a similar reaction to what you are getting because you are forced to let your hair get a little longer than you might usually allow.  People get used to seeing someone in one certain way and it always looks strange if they make a change.

Do your best to ignore them and just keep trying different ways of putting your hair up or back until you can get the cut you like again.  BUT - do a cut YOU like and don't give in to their pressure.  If you discover you like longer hair - then ignore them.  

• Lily
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Believe it or not, other people don't control how you wear your hair - so their opinion doesn't matter at the end of the day. Another great fact is that you don't even have to give an explanation to these people why you have your hair up. Sometimes a simple smile and a bit of a fake laugh is all someone needs to know that this topic is not up for discussion. Or just shrug and say "I like it this way."

• 2 months ago

You wear your hair in a way that is best for you, given you are no longer able to see your hairdresser. The opinions need not impact on you and while you cannot control/change others, you are solely responsible for how you respond/react. Women in their 50s with long hair is not uncommon.

• Lisa M
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

In the old days, women were supposed to cut their hair at 40 because it was assumed they were not child bearing anymore. I'm 51 and still have long hair. Although, I try to keep the grey in check.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If someone says those things, you don't need to say anything. Those are statements, not questions that require you to answer or reply.

If you feel you must reply, just say, "Yes, I thought I'd try something different".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.