promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do cholesterol lowering drugs (statins) cause mental confusion?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • rj
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

i never heard of that, google it

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

The prescribing data for all statins note rare reports of cognitive impairment in postmarketing. They include nonserious reversible forgetfulness, confusion, and other forms of cognitive impairment. However these reports state a causal link that have not been established. There have been two statin clinical trials that have evaluated cognitive function. They found that the statin group and placebo group did not significantly differ in cognitive function. It is likely that statins have been linked to confusion as they are used more commonly in older adults who are already experiencing confusion.

Source(s): AHA Statin Safety and Associated Adverse Events
    • rj
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

olivia, you are smart

• patty
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

google the side effects of the medicaton. I doubt if they did.

• 2 months ago

They might, it is less common than other side effects:  Statins also carry warnings that memory loss, mental confusion, neuropathy, high blood sugar, and type 2 diabetes are possible side effects., Also keep in mind that statins may also interact with other medications you are taking.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's not something I have ever heard or observed in ten years of nursing. I don't "know" for a fact either way, but if it can be a side effect, it must be a very rare one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.