A very important issue- " Should our children depend on Google only for all the mathematical calculations ?"?

I find children from Europe and America dont know the conventional methods of calculations. They depend heavily on Google, calculators and other Mechanical or Electronic Devices. I think this trend is not good. 

In India we are still teaching Basic Methods of manual Calculations up to class 10 After 10th we allow them to use calculators. Now a days few Institutions have started teaching old Indian method of Rapid calculations. These methods reduce the calculation time to about 60%.

• Jim

I show my students how Goole is wrong on most calculations (for complex, or significant figures). I won't allow Google or ANY calculator until they have the correct steps shown. Then they must round to correct sigfigs, so 2/3 of the question a calculator or Google can't do anyway.

I don't think they should use Google or a calculator. You learn more of the basics if you do it all by hand. 

It is similar to copying, they will never learn Math and be able to do it when the battery goes dead.

• Dixon

Actually, traditional arithmetic is still taught in the UK and Europe and many tests are No Calculator, so I don't know who you are meeting. But kids will always reach for a calculator outside school because they don't like thinking.

Bear in mind that everyone really does have a calculator with them all the time these days. The point of learning traditional arithmetic now is to allow estimation and prevent gross errors from mistyping, as well as an introduction to more general mathematics.

The Vedic rapid calculations are interesting but they have two problems. 1) They are given without derivation, which means if you don't use them regularly you can never derive them, whereas standard arithmetic is obvious.  2) There is literally no need for them today and the time could be better spent on more relevant learning.

That is not the way to learn mathematic, doing that way makes your kids become a mathematic fool in future generation.

• Pramod Kumar

Which way you are referring to ?

• Matt

No, i think they should do some math themselves mentally.and google may not be the best choice..

• Pramod Kumar

Hi. Do you think this mental exercise should not be made compulsory for children ?