Jan asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

What happens if you insert a higher class Micro SD in a unit that requires a lower class?

For some reason some dashcams tend to run very hot wheneverr you insert a higher class Micro SD card than what is specified. Another thing that really confuses me is that upgrading the firmware in a dashcam may increase the amount it can detect from a memory card.

Also, why does my GPS/Dashcam unit choose when it wants to record and not record? This thing really annoys me because I already updated the Windows CE or whatever Windows OS in this unit and formatted the memory card, yet it still picky when it comes to recording.

• keerok

No problem. Class rating is downward compatible. The advantage in speed however is lost.

Your only concern is capacity. Some older gadgets can not handle high capacity cards.

Nothing requires a lower class. The classes indicate the maximum read/write speed. A device that doesn't support that speed would simply write to the card at a lower speed.

Firmware updates can increase the amount the device can support if the SD card is directly controlled by the CPU / microcontroller of the device. At its most basic, the SD card is just a series of I/O pins, so you can basically connect it to any microcontroller, as long as you tell the controller how it works. A firmware update would just tell the microcontroller how to send signals to the SD card in a way that can read more data.