promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Jan asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

What happens if you insert a higher class Micro SD in a unit that requires a lower class?

For some reason some dashcams tend to run very hot wheneverr you insert a higher class Micro SD card than what is specified. Another thing that really confuses me is that upgrading the firmware in a dashcam may increase the amount it can detect from a memory card.

Also, why does my GPS/Dashcam unit choose when it wants to record and not record? This thing really annoys me because I already updated the Windows CE or whatever Windows OS in this unit and formatted the memory card, yet it still picky when it comes to recording.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No problem. Class rating is downward compatible. The advantage in speed however is lost.

Your only concern is capacity. Some older gadgets can not handle high capacity cards.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Nothing requires a lower class. The classes indicate the maximum read/write speed. A device that doesn't support that speed would simply write to the card at a lower speed.

Firmware updates can increase the amount the device can support if the SD card is directly controlled by the CPU / microcontroller of the device. At its most basic, the SD card is just a series of I/O pins, so you can basically connect it to any microcontroller, as long as you tell the controller how it works. A firmware update would just tell the microcontroller how to send signals to the SD card in a way that can read more data.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.