Why do people from the USA call that place America when it's only 1 country??  ?

There's more than a couple of countries and more than one Continent in America!  

This is America & there's more than one country in it

The United States of America is the only nation that uses the word AMERICA in its name. That is why they use it.

Your picture is NOT America.  There is South America, North America and less officially, Central America.  But there is not one single land mass called "America". Do a Google search for "Map of America" and the United States comes up.  Sometimes Mexico and Canada are included in the map but never Brazil or Colombia.

The full name of our country is "The United States of America" and for short it's "America".  Just like Mexico is "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" and the short name is "Mexico".  A true American calls this country America.  Perhaps you are confused because you have foreign family members who don't understand.

I find that to be true with my family members who are Spanish speaking because they don't refer to our country as "America" in Spanish.  But I always tell them that we speak English here and "Estados Unidos" in English is "America". Even if there were a single continent called "America" that doesn't matter.  "America" can refer to both a continent and a country just like "Australia."

And the last reason is that "America" is what most Americans call the United States.  We are Americans, our ethnicity is American, our food is American, etc etc.  So regardless of what others think, if people call the United States "America" then it's America.  And we are Americans.  There is no such word as "United Statesian" as there is in Spanish "Estadounidense".

If you are in the UK and you say you're from America, they will know exactly what you mean.  They will not think you are from Mexico, Brazil or Canada.  Now, if you go to a non-English speaking country they might say United States in their language (Estados Unidos, Etats Unis) but they will still call you an American, Americano, Americain.

• Tom S

It became that sort of by convention, and abbreviation, "United States of America" is just such a mouthful.  Just like people from Mexico don't typically say "we are from the United Mexican States".  

Used to be "the States" was common.  "America" and "American" seems to be more widely used or recognized now.  People have realized that "Latin America", "Central America", "South America" and a few other options are much different than the "USA". 

Source(s): I lived for years in South American countries, and never had a problem with my USA nationality name type.
  • Andrew

This has been asked and answered many, many times over the years. 

The short answer is that the United States has been known as "America" for a long time. Americans themselves refer to their country as "America" and it's quite common in other English-speaking countries as well. People in Ireland, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and many other places use the term "America" to refer to the US. It's longstanding convention and it's not going to change. 

The only people who tend to get bent out of shape over it are Canadians and people from Latin America. Nobody anyplace else really gives a toss either way. And it's pretty easy to see why Canadians and Latin Americans would whinge about it as so many believe that they have an axe to grind with the United States. 

If you were to stop and think about it for a moment, it would likely dawn on you that Americans probably couldn't care less what other people think of the way they refer to their country. Why should they? And you would also likely realise that this only perturbs you because you're one of those people who's compelled to whinge about what Americans do. 

Why? My guess is that you're Latin American, and thus feel some misguided sense of hostility towards America and Americans and this petty nonsense is just your way of venting your frustration or coping with your envy. 

I'm an Irishman and everyone in Ireland refers to the United States as "America."

Because they are just shortening the name from United States of America (USA)

• Phil

This is such an inane question. it always has been and always will be.

Everyone knows that America is a shortened version of The United States of America,

Note that there is no continent named America.

There is the continent of North America,

There is the continent  of South America.

There is the landmass of the Americas.

• JB

I am more specific when even /possibly/ communicating with someone from another country.  I get your point, but when people around the world hear "America" they do tend to think of the USA, with it being the such a influential and prominent nation.

• MikeD1 month agoReport

Yes, and when you say you are "American" to foreign people they right away picture an image of someone from the U.S.

Some do that, but I'm careful to say USA unless I really mean North, Central, or South America.

• roderick_young

When people say "Americans," I assume USA, unless context indicates otherwise.  But if I'm talking, I will often say "US English" for grammer questions, or "I'm from the USA". You can see my answers in my profile. At work, one of the regions I was in charge of was the Americas, incl. South.

• Matt

Unites States Of The Southern Half Of The Continent Of North America

• JB

Rolls right off the tongue, huh?  ;)