promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Is Biology very stupid?

My Professor in Philosophical Logic and Theology told us that Biology fails to take take into account the fact that humans are not only biological creatures, but also spiritual creatures, with a soul and thus Biology ignores a fundamental part of reality and it often searches for answers in a realm, the pure natural realm, when the answer often lies in the spiritual realm, and it therefor often comes to absurd conclusions.

He said that Biologists tend to ignore Supernatural influences, which often leads them astray. He gives the example that Satan has manufactured and planted all of the so-called evidence for evolution, in order to dupe the Biologists and lead them in the wrong direction and away from the true answer and since Biologists fail to account for the spiritual realm they therefor easily fall for this trick.

Is my Professor correct? Do you agree with him?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Your professor is a moron.

Biology is not about philosophy or theology or metaphysics. It is the study of living organisms, divided into many specialized fields that cover their morphology, physiology, anatomy, behavior, origin, and distribution.

Spirituality and the soul are not biological so not part of the science of biology.

Supernatural influences are not scientifically proven therefore not scientifically valid.

His example is pure nonsense of course, but you are free to believe him all you like.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Well of course biology ignores spirituality. Science is the study of the natural universe in natural terms. Supernatural/spiritual realities lie totally outside the realm of science, and science therefore cannot make any valid statements concerning such realities.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

How could a mindless process make a mind? 

If you’re just the result of billions of cosmic accidents, then how can you think? And why trust your thoughts? Nothing would matter.And talking about matter... how could matter miraculously ‘self-generate’? If you believe the universe created itself, that’s what you’re forced to believe...

• 2 months ago

In part. Yes, it is the case that most biologists are blind to the supernatural/spiritual aspects of life. But as far as certain biological evidences being "planted by satan" this is just flat-out dumb. Take for example dinosaurs...dinosaurs are just large reptiles...some dinosaurs exist today like the crocodile and the komodo dragon. Many indigenous peoples in places like the Congo and the Amazon report still seeing small, more orthodox, dinosaurs such as the triceps and brontosaurus. DINOSAURS ARE NOT A BIG DEAL. They are just big reptiles, and indeed we have creatures today that are BIGGER than the biggest dinosaurs; like the blue whale for example.  Dinosaur fossils are REAL and not satan-made hoaxes.

The actual physical things that biologists are discovering are REAL, but it is their conclusions that are false.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You were doing pretty good until you brought Satan and evolution into your comments.

• Sean
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

No, I don't believe so, nor do I necessarily believe you, but that is beside the point. While yes, we are beings with a spirit, there is little evidence of that. Whatever evidences there are, they are not qualifiable. How can you measure the spirit? Yet each of us has one and we know we are different than other animals. We have influences that are beyond us, and knowledge of good and evil. We can see this represented in children who don't know right or wrong, yet who will lie to hide their bad deeds. This is an observable trait in us. Animals don't have that. They have to be trained to think badly if they do something "bad".

The example of Satan creating things is one I would not stand behind. I think many events have happened in the past. Many of which were recorded. That doesn't mean that we have those records today. We actually know very little about the ancient world. What scientists claim are reasonings based on the data they have found, but that doesn't mean that their assumptions are correct. The more data is found, the more accurate such theories can be, but new information can come along and shift popular thinking instantly. Therefore, it is hard to say that science is anything but a tool of discovery, and we use it as a bat to pound in proof of things we find. It doesn't claim that.

That means that those claims of your "professor" are likely him looking at data points and coming up with assumptions, much as people who assumed the earth was flat because they couldn't see a curve. That doesn't mean that it is or that science or data supports such claims. Your teacher of logic should know that.

• Jim V
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No biology is not stupid.

And I'm very much in doubt that is a real event.

I will say though that science is done on the basis of methodological naturalism which does not take into account anything but natural cause and effect.

Some people in the sciences are philosophical naturalists - meaning that nothing but the natural cause and effect CAN exist.

Both cases do fail to take into account (at least in the lab) that humans do have a dual nature, a physical nature and a non-physical nature (the soul or spirit).

I'll make no comment on what you said he said.

• 2 months ago

if I believed what you say, I'd say your professor is completely ignorant of philosophy and theology, as well as biology. 

but I don't believe your story, so it's cool.  

• 2 months ago

Your professor sounds like a complete idiot. There's no such thing as a soul. Hop!

• 2 months ago

it is good what it is designed to do...to study life

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.