Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 year ago

Why do people say the Germans lost in Stalingrad when in fact it was a huge victory?

The German 6th army had the most valiant troops of any army in that war. They were encircled in November '42 , this meant that the German armies in the Caucasus were in great danger of being cut off and this meant an almost immediate defeat of Germany.. However the exemplary troops of the 6th army fought on bravely despite the lack of food, winter clothing and equipment.. For 3 months they tide down the Soviet armies around Stalingrad so that other German armies in the Caucasus could retreat and avoid the same fate of getting encircled.

The defeat of the 6th army was obviously inevitable and the soldiers knew this very well but they selflessly fought on.

This was an example of how brave the German soldier was in the war. And so why do historians ignore this?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

No amount of spin can make that defeat sound like victory, although they probably spun that line to the German public. 

However, I would have to agree, that the German soldiers were as brave as the Allies. The vast majority were not there of choice and faced the same dangers and hardships.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

"fought on bravely"

They didn't fight-on out of choice or valour. Hitler couldn't relieve Stalingrad and he wouldn't let Friedrich Paulus brake-out or surrender. Fight to the last man was Hitler order!!

But Friedrich Paulus who Hitler thought had committed suicide had unknowingly to Hitler, surrender his troops.

It was first many mounts later and after Friedrich Paulus had made a radio broadcast- appeal from USSR to his fellow officers, to stop the war -It was first now that Hitler realised that Friedrich Paulus was still alive and what he had surrended.

Hitler was to say the lest, not pleased.     

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Our soldiers were indeed brave, but it's not politically correct to celebrate the greatest generation who tried to destroy subhumans. Not that I care. I would happily have fought and died there if need be, and I would have killed at least one kike before dying in battle or from the cold. 

Stalingrad was a great German defeat because our army was encircled and forced to surrender. Just because soldiers fight bravely does not make a victory. The Texans at the Alamo, the Confederates at Gettysburg, the French at Waterloo, etc all fought very bravely but they still lost the battle. Same with Stalingrad. 

Source(s): Proud German-American and WW2 buff/ soon to be reenactor
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

NaziKKKrauts were not brave and it's a good thing they lost.

ps: I don't like Communists either, but given the alternative ..

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

they lost get over it and why are you living in the past

get with the times bro

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Because your a idiot I studied military history in university because I wanted to be a historian no such luck. It’s a lose

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Hitler was an idiot.

Nazi generals did not want to be friends with Japan.  They wanted to be friends with Russia.

Manstein called Hitler an idiot.

• EXZTNZ
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

The loser of a war never gets to write the history books.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Paulus wanted to try to breakout and retreat from Stalingrad after the Soviets surrounded the 6th Army in November but Hitler forbade it.  Then in December, Hitler decided to send an armored force, lead by General von Manstein, to help 6th Army escape from Stalingrad but the Soviets overpowered it and forced it to retreat. The 6th Army didn't die at Stalingrad because they chose to.

• 1 year ago

there is no other word that can be used other than defeat, the NAZI swine got their butts kicked all the way back to Berlin because they failed to take Stalingrad, losing Stalingrad was the start of the end for the Nazi swine..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.