Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 2 months ago

Am I wrong that her anger and blame are displaced? And is it bitter of me to second- guess my free babysitting services in the future?

My boyfriend's twenty- something daughter has a 3 yr old son. I have been watching him whenever she is in a bind since he was born. Anyway, weeks before the corona outbreak she asked if I could watch him for a week in April- they would also be staying over for her convenience. Her daycare was on vacation-so I checked my schedule and agreed. 

So, due to the progression of the corona pandemic, my boyfriend and I agreed we should not watch him for everyone's safety. Keep in mind she lives with her mother and stepfather who I believe are down to part time due to all of this craziness. I figured she might be on the same page, or at least understand- but when i let her know the change of plans a week and a half before said babysitting was suppose to take place it was not good. She freaked out and blamed me for having to take a week off from work. I understand her frustration- but everyone is having to adjust in these unpredictable times. I didn't apologize or get emotional- just stated the facts. I think she's taking this personally and selfishly. 

• LizB

Okay, calling her "selfish" isn't going to help anything here, because is it "selfish" that she has to work to provide for her child? If her employer isn't offering leave or work from home capabilities, that's hardly her fault. Now she's in a bind with no childcare and might not be able to find anyone, so of course she's going to be upset. If you don't feel comfortable watching the child right now due to daycare exposure that's your decision, but she's entitled to her feelings, too.

Second guessing and changing minds is virtually a requirement in troll society.

You gave her plenty of notice, it's her responsibility.