promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

I am a Canadian citizen, my girlfriend is an American citizen and we want to get married.... help!?

So she wants me to come down in August, I have no visa. She told me that I’d come to visit and she wants to marry me when I get there. It sounds pretty crazy but we have known eachother for years and are very in love. Besides the point if I married her while visiting in the us being a Canadian citizen would I be able to stay with her in America? She says when she Marries me they won’t send me back but I’ve read otherwise.. does anyone know anything about this?

9 Answers

  • L
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

    Right now, Canada has closed their borders to America.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Yeah, she needs to do some research. You can marry in the US without a visa but you'd have to go back home to then undergo processing for the visa that would allow you to remain indefinitely in the US. Better she should apply for the fiance' type visa now and then in about nine months you could enter the US, get married and proceed to getting a green card. So plan for November or December on this trip (if you're able to make it all, considering).

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    When you get married, she can apply for you to live with her permanently.  It is pretty simple, AFTER you get married.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Getting married is the easy part.

    In the USA you get married following the rules of the state the ceremony takes place.

    Should it be decided to do it in Canada then it is the laws of the province .

    You could get married in both countries if you want to.

    This makes you spouses. That is it no more no less

    The next part is the really hard part getting permission(a Visa) to live in the other country.. If you have ALL of the requirements the processing time can be a year or two before you get an answer.This is the same in either direction.

    Should you decide to breed while waiting you complicate and extend the time for the ADULT. The child is born a Dual citizen and can move back and forth.

    She says......   Partially true but she does not decide. The immigration officer reviewing your application decides a Yes or No.

    Many on here can explain the law about this.

    The issue always remains it is the visa officer that reviews your application makes the decision of yes or no. They have many reasons they can say no.Your objective in the Application is to give many many many reasons to say YES

    The main question you answer is what does the other country get out of the arrangement.

    Being a bed warmer, cuddle buddy does not mean very much to the country.

    Being married does help but you NEED MORE.

    Brother Haskell mentions one very important thing that could happen.

    The work around for that is that get you

    married for example in Jamaica or South Africa or France or someplace not in Canada or in the USA. Being married is being married.

    We all know you want  to improve your horizontal bedroom gymnastics. Immigration Officers DO NOT CARE about that.

    A Canadian Prime Minister said it well

    "there's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation." Pierre Trudeau 1967

    You apply you ask. The answer is Yes,No not at this time try again later with better reasons.or NO you do not have some required thing and are barred from ever doing it,

    You can mess it up by what the couple does while waiting for the answer.

    You answer the basic question with your visa application which is very similar to a job application. Why am I special and just a little bit better than the other applicants.

    Your education, your work skills NEEDED in the other place for example.

    For most to have something high enough they are about 25 years old the time required to get the education and on the job experience.

    The current pandemic will toss out what was acceptable last year.You are just interested in what is NEEDED at the time you apply. NO ONE knows what that might be six months or a year from now.

    Having the long list of the MINIMUM requirements means you can you do for a job. You NEED more.

    A Doctor is a Doctor a Neurosurgeon is a better Doctor. A pediatric Neuro Surgeon specialist is a bit better. YOU have to show how YOU are better than about 90% of others that also apply. the cost to an employer if from $5,000 to a lot more to process your paperwork.WHY would they want to spend the money on you?

    The days of the guaranteed easy fast way were last century.. If this virus pandemic crap stops soon the NEEDED skills are known.(STEM FIELDS) If this drags out past summer the world's NEEDS will be just different.

    Good Luck with what you decide to try for. The Post pandemic world is an this time.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    Of course you can get married while visiting, but entering the United States as a tourist with the INTENT to immigrate (on that very trip) is immigration fraud, a felony, and can get you barred for life.

    After you got married your wife files an I-130 petition in your name with the USCIS. It will lead, about a year later, to a CR-1 immigrant visa. But keep in mind, you can do the whole honeymoon thing, then return home, tie up loose ends, give notice at your job, get rid of the flat, and by the time you've done that, you'll already have your interview at the US consulate in Canada.

    So how could an immigration officer assume you are trying to pull a stunt? Simple. Folks who visit have a job waiting for them, a place to live, lots of stuff, often a cat or a dog or both, and so on. They can't just visit another country and have nothing left to return to. Simple as that.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Marriage just gets you married, it doesn't get you any rights at all sbout living in another country....... so you visit, get married and go home then she would have to apply and sponsor a spousal visa and wait to see if you get it and if/when you do you can then migrate to the USA legally

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Marrying doesn't give you any rights to stay - you'll need to apply for the appropriate visa

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    You would not be able to simply stay.  Better would be for her to sponsor you for a fiance visa and then get married after the visa is issued,

    Note she must have a steady job making at least $21,500/year to qualify to sponsor you.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    IF you enter on visa-free entry, which is solely for tourism, you MUST return to your own country immediately. There is NO way to change status or remain in US. After you return home, your US-citizen spouse, IF she qualifies, can file a petition (CR-1) for a spouse visa. This typically takes longer than for a fiancé visa, and can easily take twice as long (up to 2 yrs or so).

    Since marrying on tourist visa, visa-waiver (ESTA), or the visa-free entry for Canadians is actually visa FRAUD, expect your spouse visa can be held up, even denied on the grounds of fraud. Be prepared to return home promptly & file for your US-gf to immigrate to Canada, if you qualify to sponsor her.

    IF you two want to marry in US & apply for Adjustment of Status, then your US-citizen fiancé MUST apply for K-1 fiancé visa. IF approved, you have 90 days from date of your entry to marry & file for Adjustment of Status. Do it the right way, or suffer the consequences.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.