promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 2 months ago

Point of "Or Best Offer"?

An Ebay product listed at $30.01 or best offer from Japan. I, from the USA, offered $26.00. He came back with $100.00 for the item. I thought the point of best offer was to offer a price lower than the asking price. Am i wrong?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No--you're not wrong. But he probably has an offer of close to $100 now for the item and if you want it, that's the price you will need to pay for it. "best offer" means the best offer you GET if you're selling, even if that offer is below what you want. He's probably trying to tell you he has better offers than yours and wants you to match or exceed them. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It means you can get it for less if no one else wants to buy it. If someone is willing to pay the asking price, or more, then you can't get it for less.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Unless the 30.01 was shown as a "buy it now" price, it's not an asking price.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It sounds like he had no interest in doing business with you for whatever reason. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Speed
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Did the seller say he has an offer of $100? If so, then he does indeed understand the term "or best offer."

But if he's just jacking up the price because he knows you want it, forget it. I wouldn't go higher than his initial asking price.

As mentioned, it's possible there's a language glitch, too.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Many of them just put that but they will usually come down some.

• 2 months ago

No you are not wrong and that is atypical. I suspect somewhere there is either a posting glitch or a language problem

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.