Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 2 months ago

I am 15 and really want to learn the Flute but my siblings make fun of me for it. They say it's not a good choice?

I have 2 brothers who play drums and bass, and a sister who plays guitar and they say flute is "not a real instrument" and it s lame. But doesn t every orchestra have flutes? Mozart wrote music for flute, not the stupid drums. I think they re just being mean. I m not going to listen to them but it still hurts because I wonder if other people think the same thing?

As a flute player, I've been playing for seven years, since 4th grade, so I can't say whether or not it is an easy instrument to learn, but I do enjoy playing my flute. 

I say that most other instruments are louder than a flute, but if you really wanna annoy or get back at them, get a piccolo too and learn the high notes. 

Flute is definitely a real instrument and those who think otherwise deserve to have their eardrums demolished (this is nothing against deaf people because I respect those with genuine disabilities). 

Terry Crews plays a flute

• patty

u would be inclined to make more money than them if u got work in an orchestra

• JOHN B

Have them listen to Ian Anderson, then get their opinion.

• Emdog

When say flute is "not a real instrument"  just reply "Some people might think that" and go on with your life and your choices. You are 15, so opinion of others on subjects really none of their business is still seemingly important to you. Opportunity for growth: deciding what you want to do and doing it, regardless

The flute is a wonderful instrument and age 15 is a good time to learn that you don't need to go through life always pleasing or heeding the advice of others. If that's what you want to learn, go for it!

The flute is definitely a "real instrument" and a serious one too, and yes, there's always flutes in every orchestra in the world. I play saxophone but if I had to do switch it would be the flute (well...flute or clarinet, it's hard to choose). Go for it. Leave the drums to your brothers in their garage band to play on weekends, while you discover the real world of music with Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, etc.

• TB12

Well,,, I mean it's not like there are any famous rock and roll acts that feature a flute,,, I mean other than Jethro Tull, Genesis, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Heart, Traffic,, and there can't be more than maybe 100 top rock songs featuring a flute,, well, maybe more if you count the ones with an orchestra backing by groups like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones,, and a flute in jazz or big band, please, that never happened,,,

What I'm trying to say here is the flute is very much a real instrument, if you want to learn, learn it well,,, you'll be the one making money playing your music while they're recounting their garage band days with their co-workers at the warehouse.

A flute is kinda sissified. Not sure why you'd want to learn it.

• Flute is a wonderful instrument that produces a very beautiful sound, and it's one of the very oldest in the world. The flute can be light and cheerful as it can be heavy and gloomy. The repertoire for flute is large and diverse, and yes, many composers have written pieces for flute (Concert no 1 in G major is probably the most famous, even non-musical people have heard it somewhere). It's a fine choice. I think your siblings are wrong, maybe even jealous. 

Source(s): my opinion as a pianist and cellist