promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can I run the kitchen hood fan/extractor hood all day? Will this severely harm the motor?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not recommended.

It costs money for your home's heating and air conditioning to do its thing. Knowing that, how much money are you willing to throw outside?

Also think about that when you want to leave the bathroom fan on all day.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

There is no particular damage that will be caused by running 24x7, but the bearings in those type of fans aren't particularly high quality and have a limited lifespan.

Let's say you have a quality fan that they expect to be good for 5000 hours. At 30 minutes a day the fan will last 30 years. That's super high quality, 30 minutes a day is way beyond design. 

Even then if you run it 24x7 it could burn out in 8 months. Same number of hours of operation.

Imagine how fast it would wear out if you got a cheap one with only 1500 hours of life!

• 2 months ago

First determine whether your fan actually exhausts air to the outdoors, or only recirculates it through some kind of filter.

If it only filters the same air over and over, there would be little reason to run the fan all day.  If it does exhaust air to the outdoors, you'd need to have a window open whenever the fan is running, to allow fresh air in.  That could bring up problems with your heating system.

Bottom line:  There are other issues to think about besides the life of the fan motor.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Many building codes don't require any "make up air" inlet unless your fan is exhausting more than 400 cfm from a tight room.

• Kaz
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You can, but I wouldn't want to do that.  I'd much rather open some windows to clear the air.  That seems to work so much better to freshen the air (at least in my house it does).

It will put some additional wear and tear on the motor, but they should last for many years - so I doubt it would shorten the life significantly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

the motor will be fine. all year and you might burn it out ... eventually

Source(s): grampa
  • 2 months ago

It will not. They are fairly simple and robust motors.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It may or may not shorten the life it is wear an tear.  So technically it should shorten it's life some.  But not necessarily dangerous.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is not a continuous service motor. If you go commercial grade, you can find a continuous duty motor. You should think about some natural ventilation if you are having to run the kitchen fan that long.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It won't 'severely harm' it but any time a machine runs is wear and tear on it and decreases it's life span.

• 2 months ago

You can run it all day but the lifetime will be considerable short!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.