Ashley asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How can I housebreak my puppy when I'm usually working?

I own a puppy and I want to housebreak her but unfortunately, I'm busy working all the time. I want to balance between my job and training my pup. 

All these people saying dont get a puppy or get rid of it should shut up. I raised puppies in my bedroom for a year before. They got out only a few times and my closet was their bathroom. I used cardboard and newspaper then when you are around, you train them. It's easy. It takes time. How old? Some people create a puppy but I find cages to be cruel. You dont want it chewing on everything though. Especially wires. So puppy proof.

Eventually the dog will get the messege to potty outside. I even would pee outside to show mine lol.Then they'd pee on top of mine.

Newspaper is a good tip. Take the puppy out before and after work of possible. If home catch them in the act, take them outside.

REAL SIMPLE: you CAN'T house train a puppy - if you are always working.  Are you THAT out to lunch, you lack all common sense on this?  This is the second time you've basically asked.... the SAME question!

How do you think anybody ever gets a kid, POTTY TRAINED?  It is BY paying ATTENTION & rushing the kid to the TOILET when it needs to go, or getting it there & asking it to GO.  With a puppy, you must take it out every two hours (if not more often).  Some pee & poo you can PREDICT; immediately upon waking, right after meals or after playtime, but otherwise you set a TIMER and use a crate or puppy pen to contain the puppy after an elimination, if you are not able to interact with it.  You will still NEED to take the puppy OUTSIDE to eliminate at those two hour intervals. You also need to PRAISE the puppy when it goes outside - as it should.  And puppy requires some exercise & socialization as well as some TRAINING (like learning to COME when called). You also need to set aside TIME for all of this.

You can use a word or phrase to associate with going (your choice).  I like to say "DO Business" and "GOOD Business" when the puppy or dog produces!  This way if you have to have the puppy or dog "GO" when on a break in a training class, or traveling in a car & getting out at a rest stop, etc. this is a NON-embarrassing phrase.

It is too bad since you do not have the time, you got a puppy - (at all) or did not adopt a housebroken, crate-trained & fixed adult from rescue group, and would have BETTER fit - into your busy life.

You can't house break or potty train a dog when you are not home to be very consistent in the training. You also at this time need to stop the puppy biting. You need to be there for at least 5 days in a row & be very consistent. Some people tie the dogs to themselves so they can be right on top 100%. Once the pup is potty trained but stuck in a crate all fing day, it will still piss & poop in the crate.

You cannot do both at the same time. You cannot train a dog & work at the same time. You are gone way too long.

Have fun trying cos if you aint there to train it it aint gonna learn end of.

That's the trouble with getting a puppy when you didn't have time for one.  You should have adopted an older already trained dog. 

Puppies need to be put outside every hour in order to housetrain. 

They also need lots of other training as well as housebreaking.  A puppy left to raise itself will just be wild.  

• Bort

Puppies need a lot of attention and time with their owner. If you don't have a lot of time to spend with him or her you should have made the mature decision to not get a dog. You don't have the time for it. The only option you have other than to stop torturing the poor dog (I assume you're one of the horrible people that cage their dog) and re-home it to people who can actually care for it as it needs to be cared for or hire a trainer to do it.

You should really face reality if you truly care about the dog and give it up to a home that's actually going to be good for it. You and your home is not a good home for a dog if you don't have time to spend with it to train it and love it the way it needs to be.

Of course this answer is probably going to be disliked, but it is the truth. I don't mean to offend. You're not able to provide for a dog as a dog needs if you can't find time to even do things like potty train it. Therefore you probably also don't have time to play with it, walk it, etc etc etc.

Those things are not optional they are required for a dog to be healthy. If a person can't do those things they shouldn't have a dog and the best option is for them not to get one in the first place or re-home it if they did.

• Jojo

You can`t. 

You should not have got a puppy if you are busy working all the time. An older house trained dog, used to being left alone for long periods would have been a wiser choice. 

• Maxi

Simple anwser is you can't do anything if you are not with the pup and so the pup is not getting consistant toilet training and so will take a longgggggggggg time based on when you can fit training into your day