my4
my4 asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

My weight - what am I doing wrong?

I’ve been out of work since 3/13. Since then I’ve been walking everyday. I’ve now added 20 minutes on the elliptical and then a 30 minute walk. The walk is all hard hills so I’m definitely getting in cardio. I’m actually taking more steps now than when I was working. I’m really watching what I’m eating, no snacking. I’ve developed diabetes thanks to my messed up crazy hormonal imbalance. I’ve developed a gluten sensitivity plus carbs create a bigger problem with the hormone thing so I’ve stopped eating carbs. I only eat veggies and protein. I’m not losing weight, nothing, nada..... I’m getting in just shy of 10,000 steps. Why am I not losing weight???? 

nice  avatar.

as  to  why  you  are  not  losing  weight … i  could  suggest  something,  but  people  don't  want  suggestions … they  want  results  with  very  little  or  no  effort  on  their  part.

Well, there could be a lot of reasons.  Have you spoken to your endocrinologist?  What medications, if any are you taking for your diabetes?

A few things to consider:

1.  If you are going to basically go on a keto diet, you need to eat some good fat and maybe less protein.  I know that seem counter intuitive, but MCT oil, olive oil, avocado, and walnuts are sources of healthy fats--as is salmon or other fatty fish.

2. Check your carbs.  Use an app like MyFitnessPal or Lose It! to scan food labels.

3. Are you drinking a lot of water -- like 100 ounces a day?

4. Are you drinking diet drinks?  If so, stop. Sweeteners like aspartame cause hunger and seem to create some insulin response.  Use stevia or monk fruit sweeteners only.

5. Calories still count. Try really weighing. measuring, and tracking everything you put in your mouth.  You may be surprised where your getting calories and carbs.

6. Increase the intensity of your exercise.  Time on the elliptical is less important that intensity.  Consider doing a HIIT cardio workout that includes a combination of aerobic moves along with some strength moves like sit-ups, squats, push-ups, etc.  

7.  Try intermittent fasting.  Basically, eat your last food/calories at least 4 hours before you go to bed.  Then don't consume any calories for that point (say 6 PM) until 16 hours later (10 AM). It is fine to drink water or tea or even coffee--just no calories.  

8. Finally, give it time.  I understand your frustration, but if you are in a calorie deficit each day and eating veggies and lean protein with a little good fat, you will start to lose weight.

Look online for videos about not only keto but keto for type 2 diabetes.  People like Dr. Eric Berg, Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Ken Berry, Dr. Sarah Hallberg, Dr. Steven Gundry, Dr. Gary Fettke, Dr. Mark Hyman,  as well as Thomas DeLauer and Mark Sisson.  These may help not only encourage you but provided more information about what you should be eating.