Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Not sure if I want to breed my dog?

I know there's already too many dogs in this world that need homes. I just wanted her to experience motherhood and me keep a few of her puppies. My concern now is shes very very aggressive and it's been suggested fixing helps a lot. Shes tried to fight already and I'm afraid she  might get worse guarding pups. 

I read blue heelers and tick mixes are as bad as pit bulls and can be killers. 

Shes alpha too. But My favorite dog. I've already had to separate 1.

• Lauren

Please don't breed a dog that has a history of aggression and that has tried to fight. Good personalities are just as important as good looks in dogs. It's also going to be really difficult to manage an aggressive mother dog as well as puppies. This sounds like a bad idea all around. How about visiting the shelter every now and then and volunteering in order to get your puppy fix? 

Dogs aren't human beings and they don't NEED to "experience motherhood."  She is not going to have any sentimental attachment to puppies, and as you have observed, if she's aggressive now, she may become MORE aggressive if she has a litter. She may bite or attack humans, and may even kill the pups. Do the responsible thing. Have her spayed. 

Wow, this section is full of racists and discrimination types.

"Dont breed mutts"? What a terrible thing to say.

Mixed dogs get sick way less and are great companions. Anway people are right, that less dogs to risk getting in shelters, or harmed. Also assuming a good mom.

I did not breed, but rescued a pregnant dog. It did not want to breast feed at all. We had to hold her down every few hours shed run away, or not lay long enough to feed them all. 

I was told puppies grow up and change. There may be a psychological reason why they hate the mother, who may be a sweetheart. Anyway keep them separated.

I kind of have to agree with everybody. Spay them all. 

I've been attacked by a dog that was guarding puppies way behind a house and I was a kid that walked by. So some breeds will go crazy to protect. Might not be good for other dogs. People saying killing the pups is crazy to hear? Wow. 

Good luck.

I probably suggest spaying because like some one said, you dont know about aggressive dogs.

• Nekkid Truth!

Its false that mutts are less likely to get sick.  A well bred purebred from genetically tested parents has the best chance at good health.  A mutt is as much of a crapshot as a purebred from untested parents

She won't remember her experience of being a mama. & this is one of the lamest excuses to breed a dog. You breed your dog & you automatically become know as an ignorant BYBer. No body likes BYBers. You wouldn't be getting all the genetic testing & all the certification to prove your dog is worthy of breeding. Then you would have to find a male that has had all the testing & use selective breeding techniques to insure a proper worth match.

Be smart & don't breed your dog.

https://www.google.com/search?q=backyard+breeders+...

• *****

You absolutely should NOT breed a dog that is "very aggressive". Temperament is largely heritable. Your dog doesn't need to "experience motherhood". Spay your dog. 

If she is "very aggressive", then she is NOT breeding material. Temperament is GENETIC. She has a garbage temperament.

And if shes a mixed breed, she definantly should NOT be bred. She has NOTHING to contribute to future generations.

She doesnt need to "experience motherhood". Many dogs make TERRIBLE moms, and theres a good chance she may kill all of her pups anyways if you allowed her to breed.

If you have the time and financial means to "keep a few puppies", then ADOPT a few dogs and save lives instead of creating more.

Really, the world does not need anymore intentional dog litters with so many in shelters, but that is your decision. I seriously would advise you speak to a vet though, to see what is causing the aggression, and if spaying would help her.

• Maxi

What you want !!! What you need is to get this dog spayed, socialisaed and trained, what you do not need is to mate this dog, there is no need to breed mutts, your NEVER breed dogs that are not the correct temperament EVER and certainly there is no need for your whimsical idea of " her experiencing motherhood", you want to keep several pups... (you sound like a animal hoarder) and if you want another dog later on then rescue another mutt it saves them being PTS and means you are not producing more or putting her health at risk for your 'ideas'

You are not sure? - well let me try to convince you that she does NOT need to experience motherhood - which in the hands of the novice especially, could well end up in her 'experiencing' losing her life.   Every time a b itch is allowed to become pregnant, quite simply that can happen if it all goes pear-shaped.

Although I'm sure you are trolling - she will pass on her abysmal temperament too, as well as any contructional faults she has.   

She could also end up killing any poor male who is allowed to try to mate with her.  If her temperament is that bad, she could end up killing her puppies.

Add to that the fact that with Coronavirus rife across the globe at the moment, although I don't know where in the world you are, you will find it extremely difficult to find homes for those puppies you cannot keep yourself.   Nobody wants strangers coming into their homes at the moment, nor would anybody wanting a puppy want to risk visiting you to see the litter.

GET HER SPAYED asa your vet will be able to do the surgery.  Most in the UK are only seeing emergencies just now.

• Kev

Don’t be a scumbag breeder