promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How Vast is the Universe? Do you think it is Infinate?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It is finite, since the time dimension of the universe is finite.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It is vast, but not infinite.

6 billion years ago, it was only half-vast.

Even back then, it was a million times as old as you think it is now.

• 2 months ago

I think it has to be Infinite

Where else can it expand into ??

• 2 months ago

Sp: infinIte. No, the Universe is not infinite. The longest possible line segment right now is almost 87 billion light years.

• Light years are a figment of man’s imagination, far as I know.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Infinite as far as we will ever be concerned. Our entire galaxy is of no significance in the scale of the universe. Yet even in the most optimistic scenario (for those who consider going up into outer space to be a measure of optimism), we will never get to see even the tiniest fraction of a percent of it.To a tribe of little primates measured in a mere few feet each, the immensity of even a small part of the universe is effectively infinite.

• 2 months ago

space is infinite

• And you know this how? Do you believe it is mostly empty, too? 

• 2 months ago

The visible universe is 90 billion light years across. But there is much more we can't see because its light hasn't reached us yet. The entire universe might be finite or infinite. We don't know. Every scientist has his own opinion. But facts are what matters. 

• Jim
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I believe it is, but mostly empty. We'll never know of course.

My personal belief is we had a ripple here and it caused our 'universe', and the ripple caused other 'groups' separated by a vast emptiness. But that's just me.

• 2 months ago

Happens to be a nice (if somewhat confusing) discussion of this topic by a physicist in this Five Books interview that was posted today.

https://fivebooks.com/best-books/the-big-bang-dan-...

Short answer: it's not infinite and it's constantly expanding. There's nothing beyond the universe, but space itself is constantly expanding.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.