Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

Forgot to put “St” when sending letter?

So I know this is stupid but I sent out a letter recently for a numbered street and for whatever reason spaces out and only wrote “3rd” on it not “3rd st.” It has the zip code and everything. USPS will be able to figure it out right? 

Almost all mail is now sorted mechanically.  If it has the correct zip or postal code on it, much of the time it doesn't even need the rest of the address.  The code will get it as far at the nearest letter carrier depot.  If you have a letter carrier who's delivered your route for some time, he/she may know the address just by the name on the envelope.  We see this sort of problem a lot in Calgary, where we have street that run north-south & avenues that run east-west.  This is further confused by the fact that the city is divided into quadrants, northwest, northeast, southwest & southeast.  Still, if the postal code is correct, there's seldom any problem getting the mail to the correct address.  I was a postal operations supervisor for Canada Post for 5 years.     

yes ..............

I'd say it depends a lot on whether there's a 3rd Avenue or whatever in that zip code. Hopefully you weren't too lazy to include a return address.