promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

If I find SHA very hard to understand, is programming not the right career for me?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Not even related tbh. That’s mostly pure cryptography. You won’t ever need to write an algorithm to implement SHA when it’s already done for you 

• Tech2 months agoReport

Even the procedure to implement that in git seems complex to me

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

"Secure Hash Algorithm"...*that* SHA?  Don't worry about it.  That's one of those algorithms that rarely gets written.  When it does, it's more likely to be a faithful implementation of pseudocode from a site like Wikipedia or out of someone's crypto book/paper.  

Unless you're a researcher, you probably don't need to understand much about why the procedure does what it does.  More often, a developer will find an existing implementation to take advantage of code that's already been tested. 

Edit: BTW, if you want to see how well you do at different types of programming problems, the practice problem sets at HackerRank and GeeksForGeeks can be instructive.  I do them for fun, my son did the C++ set at HackerRank to refresh his C++ skills for a job interview, and there's even a (probably microscopic( chance of getting a job interview actually through those sites. 

What will be a red flag about a programming career is this: If you don't enjoy coding, watch out! 

• Tech2 months agoReport

Even the procedure to implement that in git seems complex to me

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.