If I find SHA very hard to understand, is programming not the right career for me?

Not even related tbh. That’s mostly pure cryptography. You won’t ever need to write an algorithm to implement SHA when it’s already done for you 

• Tech2 months agoReport

Even the procedure to implement that in git seems complex to me

"Secure Hash Algorithm"...*that* SHA?  Don't worry about it.  That's one of those algorithms that rarely gets written.  When it does, it's more likely to be a faithful implementation of pseudocode from a site like Wikipedia or out of someone's crypto book/paper.  

Unless you're a researcher, you probably don't need to understand much about why the procedure does what it does.  More often, a developer will find an existing implementation to take advantage of code that's already been tested. 

Edit: BTW, if you want to see how well you do at different types of programming problems, the practice problem sets at HackerRank and GeeksForGeeks can be instructive.  I do them for fun, my son did the C++ set at HackerRank to refresh his C++ skills for a job interview, and there's even a (probably microscopic( chance of getting a job interview actually through those sites. 

What will be a red flag about a programming career is this: If you don't enjoy coding, watch out! 

• Tech2 months agoReport