promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it legal for an USA citizen to do a citizen arrest on police officers? why or why not?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, if a citizen's arrest is allowed in the state you are in. Police do not have any type of immunity.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • james
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

While you can tell them they are under citizens arrest. The cop shop will refuse to send a cop to make the arrest of a fellow cop. No mater what there crime. & they will just return to there vehicle drive of & plan cop revenge against you. So yes you can. But remember a cop will only back a cop. Not you. & there Judge lets them be criminals big time. As well as the cop shop. So if you want hated by the cops. Very possible gunned down by cop. Do it. They think they are allowed to be criminals & it is all a big joke on the citizens if they want them to change. 

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Citizen's arrest laws vary in each state. In my state, it can only be done for a felony. The law does not mention protection for police officers. 

With that said, attempting to arrest any armed person for the commission of a felony would be a poor decision. 

• 2 months ago

I believe it is. I think someone has done a citizen arrest on a police officer who appears drunk. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

That will never end well for a person.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

😄 You can.

You would have to prove the cop did something heinous in breaking the law.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

So... 😁 it's very important to dot your i's and cross your t's.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes it's legal no one is above the law even the police.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.