Contemplating whether postpone our wedding?

Hi guys so we have a wedding coming up on July 18th. But with this coronavirus we’re not so sure. It’s far enough away that it’s hard to tell, but close enough that we’re worried. The cdc ban on gatherings ends on may 10th which is well before our wedding, but other sources say this will be around till august, others say 18 months. If this helps, most people are within driving distance of the venue very few are flying in. But we just don’t quite know what to do yet. I would hate to postpone and then things clear up all of a sudden. We’ve been in contact with our venue and they say as of now we’re still on. When should we make a decision to postpone? And what would be a safe month to postpone to in the event that if we have to? Because based on the 18 month prediction, I worry that even next year won’t be safe to postpone to 

Favorite Answer

If you want to cancel or postpone, feel free to do so. Otherwise, wait. Focus on other stuff.  The virus is likely to be on the planet forever. That isn't the question or real concern. The issue is whether or not the various measures in place now will stop the spread sufficiently that it will be "safe" to resume our normal lives in 30 or 60 days, or if it will take longer.

There really isn't any reliable data yet to know.  There is no point in trying to guess or even worrying about July until there's been a good solid month of severely restrained movement and social contact.  Wait six weeks.  We will all know a lot more about the virus' behavior, infection rates, deaths, herd immunity, vaccines progress, and continued government restrictions.

As others have noted, you can consider specifics of your particular wedding.  Is this local or destination?  How many people are invited?   How many from out of town?  How many are in at risk groups?  Would you be willing to have you wedding if some people (for example, grandparents) we unable or unwilling to attend?  What are your specific vendors saying about cancellations?

I would wait until end of May and then decide. 

• Carol

No don't postpone.  A wedding in a middle of a crisis is a poignant and beautiful thing.

• Alan H

A very hard call.

You could have a simple wedding and then a big celebration next year 

The virus will go away in the hot summer and return in the winter just like the flu

Id postpone with everything going around

well..if I was on your shoes...I would go ahead with everything..as planned...

and I would just adapt..to whatever situation be at that time...and nobody would blame you guys for whatever changes or situation ....for I find it just 

burdensome for everybody..in case ..for whatever unforeseen or unplanned  ..

change..you have to do again...if you decide to postpone it for other date.,,however

keep an open mind..and for the time being...keep in mind..that ..from what I see..for this year...all and any big gathering of people...will not be allowed by authorities..due to the social distancing rules..ex..weddings, girls XVs, .etc....Good luck!!

You’re right to be contemplating postponement.  I would put off canceling the venue as long as it’s not too late to get your deposit refunded.  You’ll know more in 2-4 weeks.

My family reunion this summer was postponed to next year.  You should start now if you're going to postpone.  I really don't know what to tell you because it's not like a family reunion it's a wedding you set the date and you really want to stick to it.  I would be devastated by the thought of postponing if I were you.  Maybe try to have only ten in attendance...but who cares for that.  I am almost certain you will have to change your plans.  I'm not sure how you will have to alter them.

• Tulip

How on earth would anyone here know what's going to happen?

tune into msnbc rachel show   heavy.com/news/2020/03/anthony-fauci-coronavirus